'03, 116k miles $650 with almost new tires, advice needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stephen

Reaction score
So, I have an opportunity to buy an '03 from a guy I have known for a long time for $650. He is basically looking to get the tire value and the $150 the scrappers would give him out of it. It has 2 known issues.

#1 One of the power windows recently stopped working.

#2 #8 cylinder has a minor coolant leak in the intake manifold above it. Fills the spark plug well and shorts the spark plug.

I have always done pretty much all my own car work. My first vehicle got driven home and an engine swap. Done a fair amount of engine work on my subaru's including timing belts and tranny. I was reading what sounded like major issues with a plastic manifold on the 1st gen models that was supposedly pretty much fixed in 03 but this issue is a coolant leak in the manifold.

What is everyone's opinion? Should I buy it? I don't mind fixing it and the manifolds don't look expensive. I've heard the spark plugs are a pain ^2. This guy is a throw up the hands and toss it kind of person so he is just looking to wash his hands of it and doesn't feel like paying $xxxx to have it fixed.

Input welcome!

Thanks,
Stephen

Last edited:

Mikes05expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Even if you can't get it running I think it'd be worth it just for the new tires and misc. parts. You'd definitely make your money back and then some just parting it out, I'd go for it.

Sent from my Bag Phone using Tapatalk

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If worse comes to worse, You could always just part it out and still make money on it.

Sent from my Galaxy SIII Using Tapatalk2

FordGate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
lol - I think your friend is very smart! Get back to us in a year if you decide to buy it.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would also say go for it. Especially if you have another vehicle and can afford to have the new expy down for a while.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
So, I have an opportunity to buy an '03 from a guy I have known for a long time for $650. He is basically looking to get the tire value and the $150 the scrappers would give him out of it. It has 2 known issues.

#1 One of the power windows recently stopped working.

#2 #8 cylinder has a minor coolant leak in the intake manifold above it. Fills the spark plug well and shorts the spark plug.

I have always done pretty much all my own car work. My first vehicle got driven home and an engine swap. Done a fair amount of engine work on my subaru's including timing belts and tranny. I was reading what sounded like major issues with a plastic manifold on the 1st gen models that was supposedly pretty much fixed in 03 but this issue is a coolant leak in the manifold.

What is everyone's opinion? Should I buy it? I don't mind fixing it and the manifolds don't look expensive. I've heard the spark plugs are a pain ^2. This guy is a throw up the hands and toss it kind of person so he is just looking to wash his hands of it and doesn't feel like paying $xxxx to have it fixed.

Input welcome!

Thanks,
Stephen

Heater hoses leaking into the #4 spark plug well (back passenger side) is very common. I do not believe the 5.4 PI intake manifold has any coolant passage in the rear but its possible it went through a design change.. It more or less blocks off the coolant passage in the head. Not sure with the 4.6.

For that price I don't think you can go wrong but I guess the question is do you want a full size suv and are you willing to spend the time an $$ to fix it?

You can view the following link and/or browse the 2nd Generation Expedition section for common issues with them.

http://www.expeditionforum.com/f41/what-look-when-buying-gen-2-expy-10742/

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Stephen

Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone. I told my friend I would buy it. Haven't taken possession yet. Anyone have a good recommendation on where to get a real manual for it? I would like to have the information about what pipe and such are back there.

Stephen

OP
OP
S

Stephen

Reaction score
Oh, and what is up with the dirty brown wheels in the front. I just saw another expedition that looked about that same year and style and it had brownish front wheels too.

Stephen