03 4.6 L 2wd Front Lower Ball Joints stuck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boddkr

Reaction score
Hello,

I have 03 2wd 4.6 Xlt First timer here..

My question.. everything I have seen and read talks about removing ball joints they have a cottter pin to get out. Mine does not have those on either side.
My driver side is stuck and nothing I do helps....I haven't tried heating it up. I will try that soon. Any suggestions would be apperciate

Pics soon

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are we talking lower or upper? The lower gets pressed out/in with a tool you rent from parts store. The uppers are usually purchased with the control arm and bushings complete.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

bryan

Reaction score
The lowers are just a super pain. Keep cranking. I just did my wife's, about to do mine once all the parts get in.
And make sure when you are putting the new one in, you are flat and flush. I made one look like a top hat.

John Stephan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The lowers have a snap ring on the top side of the control arm. Remove the snap ring and then press it out. You can place a jack stand under the control arm and beat the snot out of the ball joint with a sledge to get it to move, but itll only move about a quarter inch before you need a press or a brave friend to hold a socket. Putting the new joint back in will be near impossible without a press, so best bet is to rent the ball joint press tool from your local part store.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jeremiahm

Reaction score
When i did mine i found out there is a steel insert in the knuckle on the lowers. Too much heat and that came out with the ball joint still connected, took an oxy torch to heat it up enough to seperate. There is a pin through the knuckle to hold the insert in so i had to heat the knuckle again to put the insert back. Been running it for 30k and no issues. Just something to be aware of.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Go to AutoZone and rent their ball joint press kit ( or you can buy one for about $90 ...). Remove the big snap ring and press it out. Takes about 15 minutes per side. Get a grease-able replacement ball joint. Probably need to do the rear lowers at the same time. They are a press fit bushing, easier than the fronts.

Front Lower Ball Joint ....
vJiyWz.jpg

Rear lower bushings ....
sG4AVS.jpg

Ball Joint Press Kit .....
4.jpg