03 with a bad catalytic converter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rex450se

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2003 with the 4.6L that is throwing the PO430 code(Catalyst system efficiency below threshold Bank 2). Now I have read that these have a pre-cat then the cat and was wondering if anyone had a picture of the pre-cat? Can I just remove the pre-cat and replace it with pipe when I replace the cat? Does it in fact have a pre-cat or not? I am debating whether to take this somewhere or do it myself. Thanks in advance.

Victor

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it not a pre-cat...we have 4...2 on each side and they sit in front of each other in line...not side by side

OP
OP
rex450se

rex450se

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, thanks. Would I have any problems removing the front two and just having one on each side?

Victor

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its called cat-delete...dont know which they do but its done

03expyMG

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have this problem. Found out today the rattling I thought was a heat shield when I bought the truck a few days ago is a drivers side cat. My buddy works at ford and found the after market one they use on the vehicles they service there. He told me 350 for the part. Better than the 1500 they want for the ford one. Mechanic said everything else looked very well cared for. Glad for that

jetmech06

Reaction score
I have a 2005 with 154,000 miles on it, I was getting a 303 code and changed the #3 cylinder coil, now im getting a po430 code. and somewhere I have a exhaust leak.. possible bad cat?

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My main Cat leaks so bad. Its splitting at the seam. I can tell because its getting cold up here in Wisconsin and i can see a lot of steam coming from under my car where the muffler is clearly not. No codes though. I really dont want to have to get a new cat so i will probably weld it.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Guys usually hollow out the cat and then put it back in so that they can pass inspection. My state does not have emissions tests but I still have had a cop ask me if I have cats in my system (exhaust was louder than he liked I guess). You will get a code if the downstream o2 sensor does not read a change in the exhaust from the upstream o2 sensor due to the catalytic converter "scrubbing" the exhaust. As long as you leave one of the two cats on either side, it should be fine.