'04 Expedition EB upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Phil you asked about tires. I went with Firestone Destination A/Ts on both my 05 and on my 17, they have a semi aggressive tread design but the are very quiet on the highway.

I know Ford and Firestone had a falling out years ago but I have not had any problems with them. I don't know how many plys the sidewalls have and if you are going to do serious off-roading these probably aren't the right tires for that kind of activity. For around town, highway, snow and ice, and light off road the are pretty good.

IMG_5197.JPG IMG_5386.JPG

OP
OP
PHIL CLACK

PHIL CLACK

Reaction score
Phil you asked about tires. I went with Firestone Destination A/Ts on both my 05 and on my 17, they have a semi aggressive tread design but the are very quiet on the highway.

I know Ford and Firestone had a falling out years ago but I have not had any problems with them. I don't know how many plys the sidewalls have and if you are going to do serious off-roading these probably aren't the right tires for that kind of activity. For around town, highway, snow and ice, and light off road the are pretty good.

View attachment 21014 View attachment 21015
Thank you Andy, have you ever done any towing with these?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you Andy, have you ever done any towing with these?

I have not towed with them.

Here are the spec's on the the tire

275 55 R20

UTQG 460 A B

Max Load 2,403 lbs.

Max Inflation 44 psi

Tread depth 11/32"

Weight 44 lbs.

Rim Width Range 7.5-9.5"

Measured Rim Width 8.5"

Tread Width 11.2"

Sidewall Height 9.3"

Diameter 31.9"

Revolutions per Mile 653

Country of Origin US

jim midd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Was the hitch install straightforward? I just got an '03 and want to put a front hitch on that. I was assuming it would sit higher. I put one in my '98 and i assumed it would go in the same spot, but yours seems a lot lower

View media item 6422

OP
OP
PHIL CLACK

PHIL CLACK

Reaction score
Very straightforward, simple installation.
I was able to thread a needle with a 30' trailer with ease.
Gen 2 sits lower than gen 1 as the pic shows.
I used an adapter with a 6" rise on the receiver to level up with the trailer.
I added a skid plate as well.47faac30ca4af74d63e0164bc20fb4e4.jpgf01d70601951a96a63573ebc4a29b658.jpgff36c0b49ce173e1f36588c3de07acce.jpg

jim midd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Very straightforward, simple installation.
I was able to thread a needle with a 30' trailer with ease.
Gen 2 sits lower than gen 1 as the pic shows.
I used an adapter with a 6" rise on the receiver to level up with the trailer.

Thanks. I get that the Gen 1 sits higher, but your hitch goes in a totally different spot than my Gen 1 front receiver, so it's a LOT lower. The hitch on my '98 was designed ( by curt) to come through the opening in middle of bumper, your Gen 2 version comes completely below bumper. If you look at my picture again , you can see the three tubes in that opening ( center one has a cap on it) What you see below the bumpe, slightly off center is a trailer light harness wired to headlights/turn signals because i have snow plow lights on my cooler rack because it obstructs headlights.

View media item 6422
Looking at your hitch it's in the same spot as my light plug., and because the gen 2 sits lower to begin with it's actually even lower than that.

Here's a picture of my hitch after having 2 additional tubes put on to accommodate my fishing rack set-upView media item 6420

Last edited:
OP
OP
PHIL CLACK

PHIL CLACK

Reaction score
Moog? KYB? Rancho?
So many choices!

My bucket has about 110k mikes on our delightfully well paved California roads, now so I'm looking into fresh springs and struts.
I want a good ride but not too stiff for my passengers [emoji12]
Any recommendations?

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks good, Phil!!

I ended up going with the RT's. They're definitely noiser but I wanted a bit more aggressive tread to go with the offroad/overlander look.

DSC_8416.JPG

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Moog? KYB? Rancho?
So many choices!

My bucket has about 110k mikes on our delightfully well paved California roads, now so I'm looking into fresh springs and struts.
I want a good ride but not too stiff for my passengers [emoji12]
Any recommendations?

When I did my leveling kit I decided to do springs and shocks all at the same time while I had everything out. I was pushing 200K miles so figured I was probably overdue on the shocks. Went with the Bilstein 4600s because others talked highly of them. Was wanting something a bit firmer than stock. They seemed a bit soft at first but have firmed up over time. I really like the way they feel now. Handling is great even when she's loaded up.

File_000 (2).jpeg