04 expy Rear AC noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

keithnra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
when u turn on the rear ac there is a clicking noise coming from under the plastic on the right rear side and it doesn't g away.

OP
OP
K

keithnra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
oh yeah the ac works fine, it just makes a noise almost like a relay

OP
OP
K

keithnra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I pulled the cover off the other day and there is a white rectangledbox with the wires going into it that seems to be where the clicking is coming from does anyone know what that is and why it clicks.

96mustangV6

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There's a sticky on top of page that describes this problem. My 03 navi is doin it to. The gears strip out. I went to junk yard and got some more gears. The box cost me $12 at a pick n pull.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can get the whole assembly from an autoparts store. I heard prices ranging from $40 - $100. The dealer will be much more expensive and you will not get anything better than what the autoparts stores have.

96mustangV6

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just got the whole box from a pick n pull yard out of a 04 expy along with some gears out of a first gen expy. They are different boxes but SAME gears. So I have bout 6 sets of gears. The box ran me bout $12 cause they didn't know what it was under.

Took me bout an hour to change both. Did it just now and now no clicking sound. Yaaaay. Wife will be Happy.

jdecker

Reaction score
There are two actuators in the rear a/c one controls the vents floor/ceiling the other controls the temp blend. The easier of the two is the vent control unit located directly under the cup holder in the rear, this can be replaced by removing the cup holder and junk tray. The other unit is behind the rear quarter trim panel. Just pop the rear cup holder out and feel the white box located under it and see if it feels like the ticking is coming from that unit.
Also 96mustangs advice about the 1st gen gears can save you some money, I recently picked up six sets of gears at a u-pick salvage and was only charged $5.