05 XLT cranks strong won't start, fuel module?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xbid

Reaction score
My wife's 05 XLT 150k tranny and engine both new with less than 15k on them. Anyway she was driving it the other day fine no problem wasn't bucking or acting strange. Had plenty of gas etc. Gets back in to drive after being at a job site for a few hours starts moves about three feet and dies. Now it will crank but it won't start. Oil was low so I did a parking lot lube job before trying to tur it over too much so I didn't grenade the 5.4. Had it towed to a more appropriate work location where I managed to discover the joy that is the BLUE CONNECTOR and I will be putting a "how to modify fuel tank connector line after destroying your blue connector" guide up shortly. I'm thinking its a relay or the fuel mod. Haven't got a chance to drop the spare and look to see if the aluminum can is all rotted out, I spent all my "play" time learning how Ford ensures job security for it's mechanics. Seriously, put some more of the engineering muscle into power, performance, ride, economy, cancer research, ANYTHING but the fuel filter clip. I would be willing to bet 15 NASA grade engineers spent years developing that clip when whoever invented the hose clamp solved the "Fuel Filter Connection Problem" a long time ago. Anyway I'm hoping it's that or a blown fuse and not a dead pump. I really don't want to drop the tank and I heard the fuel moduel is mounted under the spare so i should check that first. Stealership has them in stock for a bill, part is OEM only. Line from tank does not pour gas when engine is key ON engine OFF, so pump is not running. Engine catches and runs for a second on a shot of quick start down the intake so I know it has spark. Dealer confirms key chip security gizmo of wonder not to blame as it does not shut down fuel delivery only retards ignition.

thoughts?:)

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It sounds as if you have checked all the obvious, but you never stated you checked the fuel inertia switch. That will cut off the fuel pump. If not that, it sounds as if the pump or a relay went out as you stated.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^What I was going to suggest. IIRC, the reset is in the back, on the driver's side, behind a little trim door. It's also where the air suspension switch is, if you have air suspension.

OP
OP
X

xbid

Reaction score
cut off switch

Yep that was the first thing I checked after I checked the gas/oil/trans fluids. No quick and easy push down the red Popsicle fix. Guess I will go over in the dark and drop the pump module and see if cleaning that does anything, or maybe the relay is burnt. Either way I have to get it into the garage so it either starts or its getting a nudge with the backhoe.

Thanks for the thoughts, will update with progress / failure / car fire etc.

OP
OP
X

xbid

Reaction score
old problem, meet new problem.

Ok so on further review I identified the problem as a blown fuse.

Fuse/Relay
Passenger Compartment Fuse #12
15A* (mini)
Fuel pump relay, Fuel pump
shut-off switch, Fuel pump driver
module, Fuel pump motor

Hooked up the filter, replaced the 15 amp, turned the key to ON and the fuel pump hummed to life, turned the engine over and the thing started right up but on start the same fuse blew so it of course only ran for a few moments on the gas that had been pulled up the line and then died.

Soooooo. What might be causing the fuse to blow? Going to have to run some load tests and look for a short I guess, or maybe the mesh bag in the tank is clogged making the pump draw too much power thus shorting the fuse? Anyone with any ideas I'm all ears, I'm really looking to avoid dropping the tank.

Thanks

OP
OP
X

xbid

Reaction score
ideas

No ideas? I'm thinking it's a short any idea on the best way to chace that down?

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would think a short too. Sorry, but I can't help you track it down other than trace the wires to the pump, cutoff switch, etc. Probably a wire that was rubbing and eventually wore through.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drop the spare, and take a look at the module. Maybe something corroded, and is causing a short?

OP
OP
X

xbid

Reaction score
short

If the rain ever stops thats my plan. Will keep you updated, and thanks for the input.