'05 XLT Sport changes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

jrally

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For the chrome, I just used a mdeium grit scotch-brite pad to dig in a bit. I stll haven't gotten the Bilsteins in yet, I'm hoping to very soon, but now that it's over 100 degrees, my motivation is fading a bit. I'm thinking I might have to pull the stock ones, and take them somewhere to have the perchs, springs and tops swapped.

-Jon

OP
OP
J

jrally

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This weekend, I'm hoping to get some changes done to my Exp, new tires and hopefully, finally get those Bilstein front shocks installed. I'm going to try and do it myself, if my spring compressor can handle the front springs, I've only done compact cars in the past with it. McPhearson struts have more of a 1 to 1 spring ratio, where are Exp spring load is about 1/3 the way back on the a-arm, much higher rate.

-Jon

OP
OP
J

jrally

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First part of this weekends upgrades are done, the new tires...

Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac Load E (10 ply), stock size (265/70-17's)
I went heavy duty for off road durability and to take the beating tires get when hauling the car trailer.

-Jon

DuraTrac1.jpg
DuraTrac2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jrally

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Project #2, installing the Bilstein shocks, nice dice. The spring compressor I have had no chance of moving the spring, let alone compressing it an extra 1-1/2" for the lift position. I guess I'll have to find someone to pay to do it.

-Jon

rick chitown

Full Access Members
Reaction score
trucks lookin good brother... I like the tint too! U said early on that it's not 4WD? Do you ever get stuck or have slippage in the back? Just wondering...

OP
OP
J

jrally

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is a 2wd. I've done two rally recces so far, pre-running desert rally races, no problems at all, even with the old tires. I haven't taken the Exp off road yet, with the new rubber, but I expect it will do even better. In the desert SW, as long as there isn't any rain, the ground is pretty hard packed, hard to get stuck in.

-Jon

OP
OP
J

jrally

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Bilstein leveling shocks are finally installed, thanks to the guys at my local Big-O-Tires, I take them a lot of business, with my race car mostly, getting alignments.

-Jon

LevelSide.jpg
LevelFrnt.jpg
Level1.jpg