15 Expedition Error Code P0306

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BDB_Rob

Reaction score
The truck has 46k on it. Oil is changed at 50%. The last issues was a bad throttle body, now its an issues with ignition. Cylinder #6 has some spark issue. The service writer called and said the spark plugs were out of tolerance, $360 to replace them. I think it's a coil pack, and told him if the plug do not fix it, I'm not paying for them. That was 2 days ago, nothing from them, so suspect they are trying to figure it out. The rear hatch has paint peeling, WTF? How many years is Ford going to produce a defective product related to the paint.

Plati

Reaction score
Would be interesting to ask the Service Writer .... out of what tolerance? Did you pull a plug and measure the gap or is this something diagnosed by a computer? All plugs or just #6?

I had a misfire on C4. My shop replaced just the #4 COP and that fixed it. They said plugs good until 200K since I replaced them at 100K.

I wouldn't know but I agree your diagnosis sounds fishy.

Yeah ... Ford hasn't been able to paint aluminum on Expy's from 1998 to at least 2017, maybe later ... it takes a couple years to show up. BS.

Last edited:

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Spark plugs on a turbo motor must be replaced more frequently, most people reccomend every 30k miles, 50 at the latest. It is a common issue with the ecoboost, spark plugs are cheap and relatively easy to change on your own. No plug is good for 200k miles, anyone who believes that should not be turning wrenches.

Plati

Reaction score
Spark plugs on a turbo motor must be replaced more frequently, most people reccomend every 30k miles, 50 at the latest. It is a common issue with the ecoboost, spark plugs are cheap and relatively easy to change on your own. No plug is good for 200k miles, anyone who believes that should not be turning wrenches.
Nobody said plugs were good for 200K, certainly not me!

Ford recommends plugs changed at 100K miles,
both 5.4L V8 & Ecoboost. Just stating a fact, not an opinion.

Not sure where you came up with your "most people" statistic.

I've driven nothing but Expys starting in 1998, always changed plugs at 100K, never had a problem. All 5.4 V8 engines, not an Ecoboost owner.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The shorter change interval only applies to the ecoboost, and only reccomended by owners, not by Ford. Facts are facts though turbo direct injected motors (the 5.4 is neither) are harder on spark plugs. The gap widens faster and it will cause rough idle when cold and will throw codes for misfires occasionally. When I say "most people" I'm speaking of the ecoboost F150 crowd which is far far larger a sample size than the ecoboost expedition both in terms of years in service and vehicles manufactured per year.

wrc7732

Reaction score
Agreed here.

Boosted engines are tough on plugs. I’ve ran supercharged and turbocharged engines for years and never had an owners group recommend running plugs to 100k. Most recommend copper plugs and 30k intervals. That’s not to say I adhered to it, but it’s one of the first places I look when I come upon a misfire issue. I do my own wrenching though, so I’ve never been hit with a quote for $360 for a change. Find someone who’ll do it for you (or teach you) for a case of beer, and you’ll be out less than 1/4 of that crazy dealer quote.

Could it be a coil? Sure. But far more likely at 46k that it’s a spark plug(s).

The shorter change interval only applies to the ecoboost, and only reccomended by owners, not by Ford. Facts are facts though turbo direct injected motors (the 5.4 is neither) are harder on spark plugs. The gap widens faster and it will cause rough idle when cold and will throw codes for misfires occasionally. When I say "most people" I'm speaking of the ecoboost F150 crowd which is far far larger a sample size than the ecoboost expedition both in terms of years in service and vehicles manufactured per year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk