2016 XLT - 185,000 Replacements so far

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbeard2644

Reaction score
I have 185k miles on my 2016 Expy. I can't rationalize current car prices so I keep making repairs. Here's what I've had to do so far. Hopefully this helps others or someone can let me know what else to prepare for. Main items have been Water Pump, Throttle Body, Rear Shocks, A/C Fan (cabin), A/C coolant lines, and Turbo boost. I replaced Spark plugs at 120k and 170k. I have to replace the tail lights once a year for some reason. My check engine light has been on for 3 years b/c of the catalytic converters, but I can't rationalize the cost to replace (code P0420 / P0430). Lately I've had Cylinder 4 and 6 misfire (P0306) due to bad fuel injectors which is $2,500. I haven't replaced that yet and have had some success with additive cleaners.

I drive 20k miles/ year and am completely irritated with repairs, but also new car prices are ridiculous. Anyone have insight on whether my future repairs will be more expensive than a new car?

Timo2824

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Driving that many miles each year I start looking at newer vehicles at around the 150k mark. It's either that or a major overhaul to get your current vehicle back to a place where it can go another 100k.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm just over 150K on my 2017, and I've done all your repairs minus the AC parts and the catalytic converters. I've also had wheel bearings and need a turbo manifold done. One thing that might help, if you're not doing yourself already, is handling the maintenance yourself. With the exception of my head gasket and turbo manifold, all the other maintenance on the vehicle has been done by me. That makes it much easier to eat the repair bills. I honestly don't think there's a way around these sorts of repairs. Most of them are wear parts and my other vehicles have had similar repairs, especially suspension parts. Thankfully the most expensive repair was done under warranty, but I highly recommend putting aside money for the more expensive things that might come up in the future. You're right about vehicle prices though. I can't justify letting this one go for another one that will likely still need maintainence.

smahaffy

Reaction score
I have 240,000 on my 2007 EL Limited.
I love this beast!
I put Rancho coilovers and replaced the airbags in the rear with coilovers. Added Rapor 35” wheels and raptor running boards.
Had the AC compressor go out.
AC leak
I have used Synthetic oil since day one. The issue I had was that i wanted my Transfluid changed at 150,000 but didnt realize my mechanic just topped off. At 200,000 the transmission went out. That was $3000 for the rebuild.
I also drive 17-20k a year. Trying to use another car with the gas prices so high.

Speedboosted

Reaction score
While I can understand your frustration, every vehicle is going to need repairs as it ages and gets used, a lot, like yours is.

Why are you driving 20k/yr and do you need to be doing it in a full size SUV? I'm not suggesting either is a bad thing, but driving a high maintenance vehicle that often, and then complaining about maintenance...seems a bit short sighted.

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve got approximately 212k on my 2016 Expedition. I agree with you… new car prices are crazy. I’ll have my wife’s car paid of this April; still has well under 100k miles on it. So, I’m proud of that. Unintentionally met a cool goal.

But anyway… once that bill is gone I don’t want to make another car note. Or, raise the current one on my vehicle.

Back to the original question at hand… what have I replaced to keep my truck on the road, and me off the new car lot? If memory serves me right that would consist of the following:

1- Fr. driver side wheel bearing: warranty

2- Throttle body: out of pocket (item was
on back order; so, did it myself)

3- Heater blower motor & resistor and water pump: warranty

4- Fr. pass side window sash: warranty

5- Fuel pump regulator: warranty

6- Timing chain, cam phasers, etc: out of pocket (FordTechMakuloco did the job)

7- O-2 sensor (cleared the code, and it
returned. Decided to change all four
sensors since I was replacing the
downpipes and cats with SPD’s, so why
not freshen up the entire system?)

I think I’m done as far as the power mod’s go. Just stick to appearance and maintenance at this point. It’s got so much power now I’d hate for something to break and it ends up at the dealer broke.

Between the tune, Full Race Freak-O-Beast charge air cooler kit, TurboSmart bov, Full Race throttle body spacer, NGK plugs, Accel coil packs, Full Race CAI (not installed), and SPD downpipes & cats… I’m putting down a good bit of power; 385hp & 603lbs pr/ft at the rear wheels.

Tuner told me to bring it back when I did the downpipes and CAI. Wondering what numbers those additions will bring… hmmm!!!

Last edited: