18' Navigator Concept...thoughts or things to add/change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
http://www.motortrend.com/news/2018-lincoln-navigator-concept-first-look-review/

The navigator concept has been revealed and i must my expectations are pretty high for the next gen of our fav family hauler. Details and information is pretty scant, but here are my takeaways if anyones interested:

1. Though not discussed, its somewhat obvious that the body will be aluminum. Lincoln did not want to talk on the body type, hopefully they do a fusion on bof and unibody thats currently used for the mb gls class.

2. The ugly body on the spied expy mule is just a prototype for an enlarged (range rover copy) of the Explorer body. I have no quarrels with this as i like how the explorer and range looks, and range is already aluminum and full sized so why not copy it.

3. the body actually seems larger, which does match the expy mules larger mule body but smaller windows (disguise the size increase).

4. The interior packaging issue will finally be addressed, please do not change this ford. Also, it looks like the power running board feature could be repackaged into to body of the truck as seen om the concept as well. Though the steps are not real, i can see ford using the concept to make an advanced and repackaged version of the feature they introduced to begin with.

5. Theres alot of design elements taken from other automakers, but if you cant beat em...

In all, this truck looks promising, and pretty much this truck is showing us what we will be getting next year with some tweaks. I hope they make the headlights a bit meaner looking but that may be reserved for the expy. What do you guys think about it, it seems ford is finally takin this truck seriously again.

JollyRoger

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow thanks for sharing...I've not seen this one yet. If this is going to be the next Navigator, then this vehicle no longer shares anything with the upcoming Expedition. The next Expedition will use much of the F150, and will remain a body-on-frame vehicle, and my guess is the current drive-train and Ecoboost will probably remain. My guess is the body and interior will be where the major refresh work is done.

This Navigator in these pics is clearly not a body-on-frame, nor does it have any parts from the current F150. Perhaps they are splitting the Nav/Expy into two different vehicles, or this is simply a concept/design exercise that some smart (?) journalist added '2018' to the headline.

It will be interesting to see what happens...I wish the would release some more photos of the next Expy mule. The ones that are out there are clearly a current F150 with a current Expy tail grafted on. I'd love to see a drawing or concept photo to give us something to drool over.

Thanks

botts

Reaction score
This Navigator in these pics is clearly not a body-on-frame, nor does it have any parts from the current F150. Perhaps they are splitting the Nav/Expy into two different vehicles, or this is simply a concept/design exercise that some smart (?) journalist added '2018' to the headline.

Thanks

That would be interesting if they split the line.

It doesn't look at all like the Expy/F150 mule that's been spied, so you might be right.

Or the easiest explanation, this is a design exercise.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was actually there last week at the NYC International Auto Show where this was revealed...as u stated this is a concept and I spent about 30 mins with Lincoln talking about that vehicle...I told them that we're in the market of buying another vehicle and how I wanted the Navigator but wife wanted the escalade...they went into more detail about the navigator and what they "think" will make the cut for 2017 and 2018 Navigators...

the entire is OUTSTANDING...the console...the center console front and back...the seat design...I WISHED the entire alone would be in the next navigator...they used a very nice wood for the dash and woodgrain...don't remember what he said it was...so in the future...we may see the shape come to reality...we may see the grille...the velvet interior will NOT make it...the center console designs as of right now wont make it...maybe down the road...u should hear this thing start up...OOOOOOMMMMMGGGG!!! IT SOUNDS SO WONDERFUL!!!! dual exhaust...it sounded like a sports car when they started it!!! the gullwing door will never make it to design...not feasible due to the clearance needed to open it...the wheels are ugly to me...

the next gen of the navigator will be closer to this than we think

JollyRoger

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you happen to ask them if the next Navigator will be body-on-frame, or will it be a unibody/crossover thing? Just wondering if it will pull my boat. When I look at that Navigator concept, I keep seeing the Ford Flex underneath...is it roughly the same size?

If the next one doesn't tow at least 8,000 lbs, then they are going to lose some customers to the Escalade for sure.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you happen to ask them if the next Navigator will be body-on-frame, or will it be a unibody/crossover thing? Just wondering if it will pull my boat. When I look at that Navigator concept, I keep seeing the Ford Flex underneath...is it roughly the same size?

If the next one doesn't tow at least 8,000 lbs, then they are going to lose some customers to the Escalade for sure.

no I didn't...it is still a large SUV and they took the slope towards the rear from the dodge magnum...so its still roughly the same size...over 400 hp from the turbos...shouldn't be a problem

OP
OP
dlcorbett

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow i can ginally reply, i think the site server is in and out. Anyway i believe the expy mule we saw is just a prototype to test the driveline, none of what we saw on the body will make it to production. Idk if you all remember but ford did this with the 11 explorer and 15 f150, at first they had body elements from from older vehicles of the same type and after they released the concepts for said vehicle, thats when the vehicles started to be seen with specific bady panels until they right before release. I like the body style the navi previewed and really hope they keep most all of that design, caddillac will finally have something to worry about. 400 hp sounds great, it may get the same engine ad the new raptor sounds like while the expy gets the current navi tuned eb as an higher trim option and the 2.7 as std

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it is just that...a concept but some things from the concepts make the cut from what I was told...how minute the things are is the question...I don't believe the body will be in next years release but when they redesign in a few years we should see some changes

AfloatAndrew

Reaction score
Will there be a 2017?

Is there any idea if there will be a 2017 model expedition/navigator, or will they just keep the 2016 production longer and skip to a redesigned 2018?