Programming Intelligent Access Key for 2017 Navigator (push to start)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dukie

Reaction score
I ordered a set of two new aftermarket (non-oem) key fobs from eBay for my 2017 Navigator and spent a good amount of time trying to figure out how to program it as my manual says "go to dealership", I finally got it to work. I am sure this will work on similar model year Expeditions with push to start and Navigators with the first-gen Intelligent Access key (long and skinny with 5 buttons and remote start at the top). The process to program a 2nd gen key (fatter with 5 buttons and remote start in the middle) is going to be different, but should only apply to the 4th gen expedition/navigators.

Be sure to replace the batteries with new, brand-name, cell batteries before proceeding.

The instructions from here work (Going to copy and paste for search results below:): https://www.carandtruckremotes.com/2017-ford-expedition-remote-4.html

You must have two previously programmed intelligent access keys inside the vehicle and the new unprogrammed intelligent access keys readily accessible. If two previously programmed keys are not available, you must take your vehicle to your authorized dealer to have the spare key(s) programmed.
Ensure that the vehicle is off before beginning this procedure. Ensure that all doors are closed before beginning this procedure and that all doors remain closed throughout the procedure. Perform this procedure exactly as described below, and perform all steps within 30 seconds of starting the sequence. If any steps are performed out of sequence, stop and wait for at least one minute before starting again.
1. Place the new unprogrammed intelligent access key in the pocket inside of the center console.
2. Press the driver or passenger power door unlock control three times.
3. Press and release the brake pedal one time.
4. Press the driver or passenger power door lock control three times.
5. Press and release the brake pedal one time. The indicator on the Start/Stop button should begin to rapidly flash, indicating that programming mode has been entered and two programmed intelligent access keys have been detected in the vehicle.
6. Within one minute, press the Start/Stop button. A message will be displayed on the message center indicating that the new intelligent access key was programmed. If four intelligent access keys have already been programmed to your vehicle, you cannot program anymore and the message MAX # OF KEYS LEARNED will be displayed on the message center.
7. Remove the intelligent access key from the center console pocket and press the unlock button on the newly programmed intelligent access keys to exit programming mode.
8. Verify that the remote entry functions operate (press lock then unlock, making sure you end in unlock) and that the vehicle starts with new intelligent access key. If the intelligent access key has been successfully programmed, it can be used to activate the intelligent access with push button Start feature and can be used to start your vehicle.

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
Just a heads up also... There are a few important things that have to be accomplished for the programming steps to work.
1. Programming has to be enabled in the system. Mine was not. I used Forscan to enable it.
2. Start/Stop switch off. Not on accessory.
3. Open and close the door. Wait for the system to shut down. Ie. Lighting shuts off. Very important!

Once these things happen just follow the directions I posted above. I literally did this five minutes ago on a 17 Expy Plat that I just picked up. It wouldn't work unless I opened and closed the door and waited for the interior lights went out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire