1997 Eddie Bauer 5.4l

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Im adam and i am new to the forums. I have come here looking for some help. I have a 1997 EB Expedition with the 5.4l in it and have run in to a problem. 5 months ago i was doing my weekly washing and decided to do an engine de-grease (low pressure) Ever sense then it has ran like dog poo. I am taking a shot in the dark here and say that a couple of the Coils have gone bad but i can not be sure. OBD II picks up no codes and the service engine light does not come on. you guys have any suggestions.

Thanks
Adam

hades02

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Might also want to check the radio noise suppressors that are mounted in the engine bay. They rust and create rough running conditions. May only apply to the 4.6 engines.

OP
OP
O
Reaction score
i have pulled every coil out and pulled rubber boots off and did a check for moisture and wiped them down. i blew out the spark plug wells as well. Have had a fan blowing on the motor for 2 weeks as well at 1 point. when all assembled it still has problems. I put in new plugs while i was at it too. radio noise suppressors? Is that like the flux capacitor or are we talking something real here. :lol: Location of it would be great so i can check it out.

rtbrjason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did the same thing and had the same problem. I only got a code once indicating the cylinder that was bad. I replaced just that one cop at first and still had a misfire (less severe) but no further codes. I installed all new plugs/cops and problem solved. Pretty sure in my case the front 2 on the passenger side were the issue. So you might want to just try doing the fronts if you want to save some cash.

OP
OP
O
Reaction score
thanks for the info i had planed on doing all the cop's and had done the plugs a couple of months ago thinking that was the problem but that didnt do it. It has not given me in service light and the OBD gives me nothing. So in the next couple of weeks ill be doing that. just been to busy working on my neon parked in the garage.

Last edited:

squidnut

Reaction score
had a problem once with moisture in the fuel injector plug. ran like crap for a couple of weeks. figured it would dry out eventually. no codes at all. i took off all of the injector connections and blew them out with the compressor. problem solved.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
outdoors, take a look at the top of all the COPs for your truck. You should see a clear top to the COPs. Look closely, if you see a white line running around the edge of the coil or sometimes through the center, then your have a bad coil and what happened is some water got inside the COP and is shorting out the internals. Of note, cylinders 3,4 and 7 (2 on the back passenger side of your truck and the next to back one on the driver's side) are your problem children. If you are going to have an issue, they will be it most likely.

OP
OP
O
Reaction score
thanks guys. Ill have to take a look tomorrow when sun comes up, clean the snow off of her and throw the battery back in just go get it in the garage. Ill check out the injection system plugs and the tops of the COP's. Now when you talk about the (You should see a clear top to the COPs) is this a sealer they use after installing the guts in to the cop? If so i take it that the white lines in them are indicating that this sealer has cracked and allowed water to get in to it there for they go bad? Like i said be for. I had planed on replacing them all due to the fact there the originals on the truck 175,*** miles and thought it would be a good idea.

OP
OP
O
Reaction score
I got to check all the coils for cracks yesterday and only found 1. Had to drive it to work this morning and noticed feedback threw the radio. Anyone help me find the radio noise suppressor. I'm thinking it may be part of the reason. Hope to get her going better on the way home from work. Avg 8 MPG this morning. :-s