1997 EB fuse block refurb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eric in Wyoming

Reaction score
So I've had issues with the door locks/4wd/heater fan over the past few years, as well as a drain on the battery that would run it dead within a week. Thought it was the GEM, so I finally made myself pull the fuse block/GEM out today. However, when I popped the GEM circuit board out of the case it was immaculately clean and dry! Looking in the bottom of the fuse block though, I saw it - that powdery blue telltale sign of water getting in and corroding the plates.

Fast forward past the dismantling and cleaning, and here we are with it:
20240223_233929.jpg

Panels are numbered in order, so putting it back together (hopefully)won't be an issue. My question however, is how can I seal it all up to keep water out for good now? I've considered silicone dielectric grease, silicone spray, even silicone caulk. But then I don't want to create a fire hazard by slathering the wrong thing on these plates. Any idea what would be the best thing to use? Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
Eric in Wyoming

Eric in Wyoming

Reaction score
I went ahead and used dielectric grease on all the pins pointing toward the fuses, then sprayed silicone on the rest. Reassembly went fairly smoothly with no more than a handful of stubborn pins. Everything's back together now, just need to reconnect the ground terminal to the battery and try everything out!

But first, a good power nap - fat boy TAAHHRRD. ‍

OP
OP
Eric in Wyoming

Eric in Wyoming

Reaction score
Back from the initial shakedown - had to tinker with the instrument cluster some to get lights and gauges to work, but I'd call it driveable now. Weird things I noticed while checking switches and stuff.
The 4WD is still kinda intermittent. Like for awhile the A4WD worked and then quit and the light for it started flashing when I switched to it. Then it'd act like it was in A4WD when I was in 4H - I'm guessing it's time for a new shift motor? Front speed sensor?

The 4X4 light stays on regardless of what I have the transfer case in. At least the knob is right when I have it in 2WD.

I turned on the flashers going down the road, and the torque converter unlocked briefly and then locked back up. Not that I've ran my flashers going down the road that much, but that ain't supposed to happen is it?

Other'n that it's running like a champ! Albeit a champ with over 305,000 miles on the clock....

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waleedalmadani