1997 Eddie Bauer Expedition won't idle when cold.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daddyos garage

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have a 1997 Expedition with 154000 miles. Recently it won't idle after starting up the first time in the mornings. It runs fine, just stalls at every stop light. No codes. Any ideas? It seems to fix itself if I rev it a few times or after it has warmed up.
Thanks for your input!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Normally a malfunctioning Iac valve will throw a code, but not always, that's why you have to play detective. But yes take it apart And de carbon the valve. Also be sure you have power going up to it. Be sure your scan tool is functioning properly. Maybe try on another ob2 vehicle. A couple of other things that can be causing your stalling problem, is a defective coolant sensor, a malfunctioning 02 sensor, a partially stuck thermostat, low fuel pressure to the injectors. These are a few additional items to check, along with idle air control valve. Run a fuel pressure test to be sure you have sufficient pressure to injectors, the fact that it's only in open loop of computer cycle tells me that parts ok, but test anyway. You'd be surprised symptoms that come from low or high pressure. Keep in touch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Clean throttle body, maf sensors, iac, maybe put techron in your gas tank and change o2 sensors. Mine idles a little rough when the maf sensors and the plate in the throttle body gets dirty.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fuel cleaner in tank is a thing we did at dealership every 30 k service, pretty much useless but we could charge for it. Theirs only 1 Maf sensor, and spraying it out with the proper cleaner won't hurt, just make sure it's for the sensor. The only thing that totally cleans out injectors is a sonic cleaning individually. The pressure cleanings that some shops do can help. Spraying and wire brushing the throttle body is also a good idea. Probably won't help his cold stalling problem, but you never know. He could as many readers do, have a combination of problems, that are causing his engine dying issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk