2004 EB 5.4 Stalling when cold P0320 & P0351-P0358 Can't find the short

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
tswinehart

tswinehart

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm using an OBDLink EX and FORScan. I haven't been checking fuel trim lately, I've had all the misfire pids and some rpm and cam sensors. Will throw fuel trims back in. One thing I can't figure out with FORScan (I'm new to it), is how to change the oscilloscope to look at different PIDs when I'm loading and examining an existing log file?

Attachments

• after cleaning intake and replacing pcv.zip
    85.3 KB · Views: 1

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, and how's the wiring harness look running from the crank position sensor there at the front of the motor just aft of the crank pulley ? That P0320 code could be the base of all your misfires really. If the harness is damaged, or the crank sensor is failing. Is it gummed up with schmeg like the PCV was ? Take it out and clean it or replace it and clear the codes. Then see which ones come back or how the motor runs.

Crankshaft Position Sensor at Rock Auto

DY922-FRO.jpg

OP
OP
tswinehart

tswinehart

Reaction score
Ok, and how's the wiring harness look running from the crank position sensor there at the front of the motor just aft of the crank pulley ? That P0320 code could be the base of all your misfires really. If the harness is damaged, or the crank sensor is failing. Is it gummed up with schmeg like the PCV was ? Take it out and clean it or replace it and clear the codes. Then see which ones come back or how the motor runs.

View attachment 78581

Looks like it's blocked by the a/c compressor, so that'll be a littler harder to check. Probably need to get it back on jack stands to get a good look.
PXL_20230823_172832642.jpg

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can't tell what we're looking at there. Take a look at the crank position sensor signal, and the ignition coil signals for all cylinders. See if a blip on the crank position sensor signal corresponds to a blip in the ignition coil signal or a misfire.

OP
OP
tswinehart

tswinehart

Reaction score
Can't find any PIDs that are called crank or ignition or coil. I think there is not a PID for them, or it's just apart of some other related PID maybe?Screenshot 2023-08-24 190639.pngScreenshot 2023-08-24 190536.png

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My bad. It just shows up under the RPM PID graph. I'm not sure that'll be much help, 'cause of course the RPM is gonna blip during a misfire.
I see a mix of coil colors there on the motor. Who did all that ? Do you know how old the sparkplugs are ?

OP
OP
tswinehart

tswinehart

Reaction score

View attachment 78581

Man, I was really hoping that was gonna fix it. What a pita to get to lol. No dice though, symptoms are exactly the same. Old sensor was pretty grungy though.PXL_20230825_143424514.jpg

OP
OP
tswinehart

tswinehart

Reaction score
My bad. It just shows up under the RPM PID graph. I'm not sure that'll be much help, 'cause of course the RPM is gonna blip during a misfire.
I see a mix of coil colors there on the motor. Who did all that ? Do you know how old the sparkplugs are ?
We're pretty sure the plugs and coils have all been changed by my uncle or grandmother at one point or another. Doesn't seem like they were done at the same time though, and obviously not with all the same parts.