2004 EB 5.4 Stalling when cold P0320 & P0351-P0358 Can't find the short

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
tswinehart

tswinehart

Reaction score
Well, that wasn't as bad as the crankshaft sensor. Plugs up next. Looks like we had at least three different types of coils
PXL_20230827_005708525.jpg
(#5 is the one I had just changed)

OP
OP
tswinehart

tswinehart

Reaction score
OP
OP
tswinehart

tswinehart

Reaction score
Removed the spark plugs without too much drama. Again, seems like a mix of parts and ages. Two different types of motorcraft platinums, an Autolite, plus the Bosch Iridium that I just put in there while troubleshooting this. Gaps weren't horrendous, but they were all over the place. A couple were way wide. I really don't like how much sludge and dirt there is on the tops and down into the threads.

Going to hit everything with a heavy blast of Brakleen while it's apart and then blow it out with the compressor. Probably give the openings a little toothbrush scrub. Got 7 more plugs to match the new Bosch and 7 more new Accel coils to keep it consistent. Will do oil/filters etc afterwards. Fingers crossed that something in all this is the root cause and will be resolved.

PXL_20230827_142832280.jpg

OP
OP
tswinehart

tswinehart

Reaction score
I don't want to jinx it, but after doing:
Replace:
Ignition Switch
Main Junction Control Box
Crankshaft Position Sensor
PCV Valve
8x Bosch Iridium Spark Plugs
8x Accel Ignition Coils

Cleaning:
Valve covers
Spark plug bore thread
Battery and ground terminals

Changed:
Air filter
Oil Filter
Oil

... It's working at the moment with no stalls/misfires. The problem is only noticeable when it's totally cold and running for the first 15 minutes, but the first fire up after all the parts when back on was pretty good. Some smoke in the exhaust, almost certainly from the brakleen I was cleaning the valve cover and bores with.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good job ! Any idea how old the fuel filter is ? To release the quick connect lines just push the blue buttons on the fitting and pull.