1997 Expy 5.4 PCV Valve to Where?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tinkering

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi,
1997 Expy 5.4 1st Gen
The PCV valve vacuum hose has presented me with a problem. I just finished replacing the plugs on the passenger side and was putting wires and hoses back on when I got to the PCV valve. I pushed the vacuum hose back on the PCV valve at the valve cover but the other end of the hose appeared to be ducktaped to a funny looking plastic pipe right at the firewall that goes to what looks like some kind of regulator. What the heck?
I don't have a diagram at hand. I'll attach pics.
Anybody know?

OP
OP
tinkering

tinkering

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1st pic shows PCV hose attached to PCV.

2nd pic shows the deteriorated rubber boot on the other end of the PCV hose.

3rd pic shows the metal manifold vacuum fitting on the manifold.

4th pic shows the plastic tube that the disintegrating PCV hose was ducktaped to (tube coming from the unknown unit at the back of the intake manifold).20210907_115910.jpg

OP
OP
tinkering

tinkering

Full Access Members
Reaction score
pic 4:
The deteriorated rubber end of the PCV hose appeared to have been stuffed into that tube and ducktaped.
Strange but true. What the?

Last edited:
OP
OP
tinkering

tinkering

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The homemade fitting was the rotted rubber boot (just like jelly) of the PCV hose stuffed into the clear tubing that was on the metal vacuum fitting at the back of the intake manifold.
Amazing contraption; it was still able to run well but was not breathing. I suspect it caused a lot of pressure, and sludge to collect inside the engine, and probably is the reason for oil seeping from the valve cover gaskets etc..
People don't give the PCV system enough respect.20210907_134118.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
tinkering

tinkering

Full Access Members
Reaction score
... but I forget what came off of the vacuum fitting under the throttle body area (visible in the 3rd pic)?? I can't find anything that lives there.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gnorman