1997 Expy 5.4 PCV Valve to Where?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
tinkering

tinkering

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I decided to build a PCV hose out of the old one. You can see I put a smaller hose inside the 5/8 hose which fits the fitting on the back of the intake manifold.
I then fit a plastic PVC valve elbow I had in my stuff into the 2 hose piece. Then fit a little larger diameter hose over the fat end of the elbow. The original black tube then fits tight into that hose.
I used a heat gun and some spray to make assembly easier.
Voila.
I put a rubber plug over the 'mystery' vacuum fitting at the base of the throttle body. All I can think of is it is used with a heated PCV configuration. The original plug may have gotten knocked off when I was wrestling with the plugs and COP coils? 20210907_163608.jpg20210907_163614.jpg

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some of the 5.4 motors that had the engine cold weather package used that nipple as a secondary vacuum source for the PCV system. You can plug it if you're not going to use it. The main vacuum source is the larger nipple on the back of the intake manifold.

If your vehicle had come with the cold weather package it would've used this tube assembly.... Ford F85Z-6C324-AA

Ford-OEM-Heated-PCV-Valve-Connector-W-Hose.jpg

OP
OP
tinkering

tinkering

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some of the 5.4 motors that had the engine cold weather package used that nipple as a secondary vacuum source for the PCV system. You can plug it if you're not going to use it. The main vacuum source is the larger nipple on the back of the intake manifold.

If your vehicle had come with the cold weather package it would've used this tube assembly.... Ford F85Z-6C324-AA

View attachment 70321

EXCELLENT! Thanks Hamfisted! You varified my suspicion. The 'cold weather' PCV package is what I was calling the heated PCV config. I suppose I could put that cold weather hose on there? Calgary gets cold enough for that I bet:)
Thanks again.
tinkering

OP
OP
tinkering

tinkering

Full Access Members
Reaction score
... Or is there more to the cold weather pvc system than simply changing to the double pcv hose config?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There's some hot water plumbing that runs from the heater hose to the PVC valve. It's a complete waste, and just another item to fail under the hood. Nobody needs it except the federal government.

OP
OP
tinkering

tinkering

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There's some hot water plumbing that runs from the heater hose to the PVC valve. It's a complete waste, and just another item to fail under the hood. Nobody needs it except the federal government.
I get it. Thanks for that. Government is a 10 letter word :)
Thanks Hamfisted