1997 expy electric fan install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is my first attempt at a write up. I'm doing the electric fan install on my 1997 Expedition 4.6L XLT 4x4. I have also upgraded the radiator to a 2 row. Here are the parts I have purchased.

1. 2 speed Volvo fan controller from Ebay. Volvo 2 Speed Electric Fan Controller Relay Lincoln Mark VIII Taurus 93 Mustang | eBay

2. 2 row radiator from Ebay. 2 Row Radiator Ford Expedition F150 F250 F350 Super Duty 4 6 5 4 V8 | eBay

3. Dual electric fan from a Ford Windstar. Like this one. Flows 4,400 CFM as per an Dorman flow study (found here Ford Windstar Cooling Fan data collected - Chevelle Tech) 99 03 Windstar Radiator A C Fan Assembly Dual Fan | eBay

4. One Be cool grounding electric fan switch. Be Cool 75029 185 Degree Sender For Select Radiators : Amazon.com : Automotive

The switch (part #4) will drive the low speed fan. The dual fan controller (part #1) is made for a 2 fan set-up or for a 2 speed fan. Its completely ready to wire and uses the temp sensor to control on/off. So if you want, you can use a higher temp sensor for the high side. But you will have to engineer your own way of tapping into the water path. For my truck I'm tapping into the water path toward the left back of the block by the bell housing there is a 3/8" npt port into the waterway.

The high speed fan is going to be driven off the A/C pressure switch. As well as a switch that grounds the dash. So if anything fails I have a safety.

Now the radiator and the fan ALMOST are a direct fit. I had to elongate the left hole and I am going to have to put a spacer and longer bolt into the right side. On the bottom where the radiator slides into the retaining brackets. I'm going to make some thin brackets to slide into the retaining pockets on the radiator. In the end its a VERY close fit. The shroud covers 95% of the radiator. So I will get maximum draqw through the radiator. I will be posting pics as I go along and adding them to this thread. Hopefully this will help others looking into this modification!

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Sounds like you have it well planned out. Take some photos!

I thought they all came with 2 core radiators but apparently not. :eek:

OP
OP
B

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
sadly some of the lighter duty models came with a single core. Mine unfortunately was one of those. I am going to fix that mistake by Ford! I have done quite a bit of research for this project and I'm expecting some very good results. Thank you to those on this forum that have posted their projects so I could learn and put my plan together!

OP
OP
B

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So far here is my break down of cost.

1. Volvo controller - $25.95 shipped
2. Radiator - $115 shipped
3. Fans (local junk yard) - $33.16 after taxes
4. Be cool switch - $30.67 shipped
5. Misc. wires and connectors - $25

So my total is $229.78. But without having to up size my radiator I'm at $114.78. Which is very respectable.

I'm hoping to start work tonight and get some pictures of my install. I have about 90% of the parts I need.

Last edited:

xtinc7ion

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am VERY VERY interested in your results, anything that takes some of the draw off of my motor is a bonus! Less drag = more power = more efficiency. Looking forward to some end game here!

OP
OP
B

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was able to get some work done tonight. This will outline mounting the fans to the radiator. It is almost a perfect fit. There are some mild modifications to be made to the fans, but everything is very simple.

To start off the drivers side upper mounting slot needs to be a little longer toward the edge. I sized a drill bit to the slot and lengthened the slot about 1/8".
474.jpg
From there I went to the upper passengers side slot. This one needed the hole put to the upper right corner. For that I lined the top of the fan shroud to the top of the radiator and marked the hole to be drilled out. This tab also needs a spacer. To which I found a 1/2" thick rubber spacer that was enough to space the fans from the radiator.
479.jpg
The rubber spacer.
477.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used the threaded clips they provided for the top holes on the bottom tabs to hold the metal brackets in place. I reused the threaded clips from my original radiator on the top holes. I also made the bracket longer and wrapped it under the bottom of the tab. I had to break the threaded clip and used the threaded portion to bolt to. The rib on the tab holds it in place so it doesn't spin while you're tightening it.
Sorry for the blurry first pic.
504.jpg
501.jpg
On the drivers side lower tab I did the same thing for the mounting.
491.jpg
495.jpg
513.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Then I painted everything black so it doesn't stick out.
516.jpg
517.jpg
I started disconnecting the radiator in the truck. I've unhooked everything but the lower hose. That will come tomorrow night...

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cra* !!! Forgot to finish off my dual efans install also... Thanks for the reminder!

Bolted the bottom radiator to my home made shroud, but left the c-clamps on the top... Will post pic at day light!!! Been driving like this semi completed for 3 weeks now.. *sigh*

:head3: