1998 Expedition Very Bad Swaying in Curves - Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

detailer03

Reaction score
first is your ride factory air ride?
Things to think about, shocks, stabilizer links, tires, tire pressures, two wheel or 4 wheel drive, alignment, worn front end parts. These thing do not handle like sports cars, they are heavy.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Roland, I disagree with detailer 03.When these SUVs have a tight, non worn front, and rear end, along with proper tires/ inflation these are very stable vehicles. A four wheel drive version that has been lifted even 1 1/2 inches will get squirrelly on windy days. Mine is a 2000 4 wheel drive with 20 inch tires. I have some play in my steering box, so my vehicle isn't as tight as it should be. You will need a full suspension inspection, to see what parts you may have that are worn. That along with weak rear coil springs, along with worn torsion bars up front, all contribute to swaying. Torsion bars are to be adjusted to a certain measurement, you need an experienced alignment tech to help with that adjustment. If memory serves the torsion bar not only works like a coil spring for ride quality, but also adjusts the caster part of your alignment. Caster is how the tire/rim is centered in your fender well. Welcome to the forum, let us know what you find, helps others with similar problems, and also to know you fixed your problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MISTERgadget

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Start with checking the front swaybar endlinks, it likely also needs new shocks, check the trailing arms in the rear too. My 98 is very tight and I can take sweeping onramps at 90mph, but I went through everything and replaced worn bushings, new shocks, larger swaybar, the truck is nearly 20 years old so parts do wear out.

Charles Musick

Reaction score
Just replaced rear control arms (upper) both sides were broken; I've read it's weak spot on 99 Expedition.
Also replaced idler arm, both tie rods ends, sway bar stabilizers (bushings were busted out). It was all over the road. When I came home from vacation, I found the truck in this shape. I think a family member went 4 wheeling while I was gone. Ha.
I'm still trailing some, I think new tires with a balance may help.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Next time take the keys, put a club on the steering wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk