1998 Navigator NO low range

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B

bedrck46

if you were reading directly at the switch you should get a steady reading at each position if your not then I would suspect that the switch is bad or your meter isn't reading correctly

check rock auto or e-bay for a new switch

What brand and model meter are you using
Have you tested it on a good known source.
Take and touch the two leads of the meter and see what reading you get.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
R

rockinrolla

Reaction score
also used a scanner didn't have any codes so I pulled up the memory and found a p1812 4wd mode select circuit fail could that be a switch? I think its strange that i have to push the brake for 4 hi and A4WD

B

bedrck46

I know you have already done this Just copied the following for your information

Measure the resistance between mode switch terminals 2 and 3 while rotating the mode switch through all positions; refer to the following chart:
Switch Position Resistance Range
2H 3705-4095 ohms
A4WD 1425-1575 ohms
4H 646-714 ohms
4L 228-252 ohms

If you are not getting a steady OHM reading when you test the switch then the switch is most likely bad

Only way to bypass the switch would to get 4 resistors in the required range and install them one at a time to see if the transfer case goes through all the positions

Or try a junk yard or you-pull it yard and take your meter along and find a good switch

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bedrck46

What has me concerned is that your not getting steady OHM readings check all contact points to make sure you are on a clean contact surface or make up jumpers using spade connectors to put on pins 2 and 3 and retest switch also use some contact cleaner and clean all contact surfaces

B

bedrck46

When you are driving Can you switch into A4WD and 4hi just by turning the switch

B

bedrck46

I would assume that when you normally start the expy that you are in park.

Are you able to start the expy if the gear shift is in Neutral?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If your test leads came with alligator clips try those on the connectors of the switch. Sounds like you're not getting good contact when trying to read the values.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chase5817