1999 4x4 Solenoid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vigilante

Reaction score
Where can I find the 4x4 solenoid for a 99? Most research has led me to being on the firewall, just act of the battery box. However, nothing is there, nor does it appear as though anything ever was there.

Is there a different location for these solenoids?

OP
OP
Vigilante

Vigilante

Reaction score
I know it is paired with the 2wd solenoid, but they are not where other resources generally dictate. Did the 99 models relocate these to a different area?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the 99 model year did away with the vacuum solenoid and also doesn't have a 2wd mode like the 97/98 models have you should have Awd 4H and 4L

OP
OP
Vigilante

Vigilante

Reaction score
That is correct, it is A4WD. Are you certain on the fact they ditched the solenoids? Ford provided me parts noted specifically for the 99 model year.

If they were "deleted," what system replaced them? I'm chasing a gremlin through my vacuum system.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 97/98 had the solenoids which allowed the use of 2wd. In 99 thru 2002 Ford did away with the solenoids and the capability to have 2wd and then in 2003 Ford went back to using a solenoid to allow the use of 2wd.
The system is operated electrically other than the solenoids which control the vacuum operated devices

OP
OP
Vigilante

Vigilante

Reaction score
Well after replacing the transfer case shift motor with a new one, per the service bulletin (I was experiencing symptoms identical to it [the A4WD sometimes stays locked into gear with random 4x4 light flashes and beeps from the gauge cluster]).

Have also replaced both hall sensors. The 4x4 light has now gone away unless I shift into gear for most of the time. After sitting all night, and starting the truck up, it cannot turn because it's partially stuck in 4x4. Drive a few hundred feet and it starts to clear up for the most part.

I was diagnosing this as an issue with the IWE or vacuum solenoid system. My literature doesn't say that the system was removed, although I'm inclined to believe you because I cannot find the solenoids.

Do you have a possible lead for me to go on?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Would suggest that you get a copy of the Ford Service Manual on DVD If interested in one send me a PM and I will send you information on obtaining a copy. Also include your e-mail address and I will send you the prints for the 4wd wiring on both the 98 and 99 models so you can see the difference

This is a very good example of why I ask for people to have a signature line Even though this is a first gen expedition there have been many changes in the electrical systems in the first gens.

98EXPnSRQ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The transfer case shift motor has a position sensor inside it. When they go bad you will have shift problems. When you replace the motor, the computer doesn't know what position the shift motor is at. You have to reset the computer. You have to disconnect the negative battery cable. Use an aligator clip connector and connect it to the positive battery post. You don't have to disconnect the positive side. Just don't let it touch the negative battery post. Let it sit for 10 minutes. Connect it back and start and let it idle without touching the throttle for 5 minutes. Then test it out. Here's a video on it

https://youtu.be/hZAsoqmqhdM