1999 Expy 4.6L w/ Possible Bad AC Compressor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jayarebee

Reaction score
Got this truck early Spring and had no issues whatsoever. AC/Heat worked 100% when I test drove and for the first few weeks, now it was about 100F at the time super hot summer so I didn't get to test the Heat so much... but the AC blew hard, blew cold, it probably needed some Freon as it blew cooler on setting 3/4 vs 4/4... not the 1st vehicle I've had that issue with heh.

Late summer I noticed a super annoying and honestly embarrassing screech coming one morning I was leaving for work, it was about 86F out not as hot as most of the summer was (it was a hot dry summer). Each time I would hit the peddle to accelerate the screeching noise would come from the front passengers side.

I figured it might be the AC Compressor as I tried the Heat and got the same issue... I won't explain the sound I will just post a video of it as I drove around the block w/ my Vava Dashcam that caught the sound really well.. like a dentist drill or a light whistle.

To be safe I've left the Air off for now, it's Fall and it's cool.. I just hope I have Heat come another few weeks.. if not I can always take the Chevy out.

Anyway here is the sound that I've seen a lot of folks complain about on the internet, anyone think it's just the AC compressor?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR5NrLUDkT0

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does it do it with the AC compressor turned off ? Sounds like a pulley bearing going bad. Take the belt off and spin each pulley and see if any of them make noise or feel wrong.

OP
OP
J

jayarebee

Reaction score
Does it do it with the AC compressor turned off ? Sounds like a pulley bearing going bad. Take the belt off and spin each pulley and see if any of them make noise or feel wrong.

No when the AC compressor is completely off it will not make that loud whiney sound.. it will last a few moments after shutting it off and eventually go away.

Regardless I don't like it and will keep it off until I further diagnose.

Unfortunately I purchased this truck knowing it had a dinky timing chain on the engine.. Something I was prepared for and if the truck only lasts a year or two so be it. If I ever have the time (as well as my pops) we would re-do the engine's timing chain as it has a consistent noise but hasn't gotten any worse over roughly 1,500 miles.

We are also going to replace the serpentine belt as it looks like the original.

I appreciate the help I will document as I go. Like I said I got this thing pretty cheap when I was in a bad pinch for a vehicle just to get around locally with for the time being... I'd love to fix it up but time + money is always an issue, one or the other.. oh well.

Petesexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Replace the AC compressor now. You may get away with just replacing compressor ($290) and maybe receiver/dryer. If compressor goes, it will require much more. It's easy. I replaced mine in 2 hrs with no problems. The you just have to get the system recharged ($120).

OP
OP
J

jayarebee

Reaction score
Replace the AC compressor now. You may get away with just replacing compressor ($290) and maybe receiver/dryer. If compressor goes, it will require much more. It's easy. I replaced mine in 2 hrs with no problems. The you just have to get the system recharged ($120).
As much as I loved my Expy I got rid of it a few weeks ago.. great daily driver I probably drove it everyday for over a year and a half. I was given something a bit newer and nicer.

Besides for having to replace the alternator last Spring that thing never let me down, had the radio cut out driving home locally once and when I got back checked the battery, swapped w/ another, realized it was the alternator.. think it was about $90 and did it myself.

That truck will probably run forever if it's taken care of properly.. I would have kept it and fixed it up but we don't have any room for it.. and no access to the lift at work anymore.. new owners suck. Practically gave it away to someone who needed it more than I did, I probably could have gotten at least $700 from the junkyard but I didn't want to see her go out like that.

Petesexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's too late now, but for people searching this thread - I just remembered I had a similar situation in my 2000 Expy. It turned out it was an idler pulley (could be a tensioner pulley), which acted up with added load of the AC compressor. That's why it squealed only with AC activated. Cost me $34 in parts and 15 minutes to replace.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire