20 x 10 inch wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CrackerExpy

Reaction score
Anyone ever put 10 inch wide wheels on 97-02 Expy's or Gators? And if so, did they stick out at all, and by how much? Also, was there any rubbing issues when turning lock to lock? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can you put a 305 tire on a 10 inch rim? If so, I know you won't rub with that. I would definintely not go above a 315 with a stock setup. Basically, it all depends on the width and profile of the tire you're putting on that rim.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CrackerExpy

Reaction score
I'm sure a 305 tire would fit on the rim. I'm just wondering about how far the rim would stick out with the same offset the stock wheels have (which I'm really not sure what the stock offset is). But, with a 305 tire, my guess would be that the tire would be a 305/45/20. BTW thank you Smo0othride for the response. You're the only one that responded to this question posted on 2 different forums.

OP
OP
C

CrackerExpy

Reaction score
Let me correct myself. I looked up a tire size calculator and found out that the factory tires on the truck measure over 10 inches wide as is. So the new tire size according to the calculator would be 295/45/20 on the wheels I'm looking at. That width would make the tire about 11.6 inches wide and wouldn't put them anywhere near scrubbing and would make the rim and tire even with the fenders.

RaiderNations

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What about the speedometer. How does having the bigger rims affect the miles per hour? How off will it be. roughly.

OP
OP
C

CrackerExpy

Reaction score
Well that tire calculator I used said I'd be doing 64.something MPH when the speedo said 65. Not much of a difference as well as the RPMs would be a bit lower at that speed compared to stock. I haven't tried it out yet, so this is all just speculation.

C_2g

Reaction score
No, you are on the right track. When you increase the overall diameter of your wheel, you lose the accuracy of your speedometer. But you can increase rim size and decrease the profile size of your tires to stay within close range of the OEM set up that came on your vehicle. Such as putting 22" rims with extremely low profile tires on it that when standing next to the OEM wheel they are the same height. That will keep your speedo more accurate. The tranny is set up to match the revolution ratio of the rim/tire size that comes OEM on the vehicle. Any deviation from that and you will need a speedometer cable gear change. Or if its electronic, it will need to be recalibrated with the new rim/tire size if you want the accuracy back.

johnnystar

Reaction score
20X10's

I got 20X10 w/305/50R20 on mine, they stick out a tiny bit but got lots of room for clearance with no rubbing. (and look killer)
My Expy had 17's on it, with the 20's and the 305's it is only slightly taller & not much of a difference, other than the new rims and rubber totally kick ass in comparison, and make the Expy look way better!
I was gonna go with 22's but after talking to many people with high end SUV's w/22 's, They said that the ride was not nearly as smooth. Less rubber = less cushioning. And when your spending the money on a SUV with good handling and sweet ride, why would you roughen the ride, for the sake of 2"?