2000 A4wd 4H 4L Control Trac system trouble shooting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

door54

Reaction score
Absolutely reliable since purchased new...now experiencing delayed engagement and or no disengagement when dash dial is selecting 4H from A4wd. 4L clunks as expected when engaged/disengaged...but 4H dash light shuts off and system does not disengage into A4wd. Shut off engine then restart and system opens in A4wd. Transfer case fluid changed per spec and new control switch installed recently. These issues been slowly building over the last year or so but never shut me down No damage or leaking below can be found. Transfer case? Xfr case motor? Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Reaction score
I agree with the transfer case control motor. I changed one on a 1997 Expidition years ago. Not hard,just watch a youtube vid first. My 1999 4.6 Exp is my 2nd veh now however I cycle the 4x4 system 1 a month. Just for ***** I would give a couple love taps with a rubber mallet to the trx motor to see if that can give you some relief until the next time. 22 years you got your moneys worth. Just buy the control motor.

OP
OP
D

door54

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. will put them to use...22 years is definitely a good run!

Expd830

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just replaced mine last week after 22 years because it also would engagement randomly i 4 Hi after car wash. Since then no problems

OP
OP
D

door54

Reaction score
Ironic you mention car wash...Although it was worn/wearing out it would still perform well unless under heavy load. Say deep silt or sandy gravel with foot into skinny petal to push through it... it would dig in but knocking/popping hard and loud.
I had to take it to a spray and wash couple days ago to remove some mud I picked up underneath, and after that it just said fukitall. Did not care for the shower one bit.

Expd830

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah mine performed very when it needed to, but would seize up after a car wash. So since it held up for 22 years, I just bought a new one so that I would not have anymore problems in the future. Problem solved.