2000 exp w/code P0174 runs roughly and stalls constantly help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyray

Reaction score
Check the fuel pressure it may be the fuel pump or the fuel filter. You can check Autozone for lend-a-tool for a pressure gauge They charged me $150.00 plus tax but you get all your money back when you bring the gauge back. Mine was 20 PSI and it should be 30 to 40 PSI.

Joseph3

Reaction score
My 2000 Expy and I were up in Washington state when the same thing happened to me. It wouldn't stall out completely, just was running very rough. I went to AutoZone and got the same story you did. It was the same code P0174 and the guy told me exactly what the guy told you. Cylinder 8 misfire, replace the coil pack and spark plugs. I was skeptical too. Long story short I replaced the coil pack and it totally resolved the problem. The spark plugs looked pretty bad so I replaced them too. It now runs better than ever. So sometimes these AutoZone guys are right!
I admit I am confused why the manual says code P0174 is a fuel problem. Definitely not a fuel problem in my situation.

Joseph3

Reaction score
In the interest of full transparency, a shop actually replaced the coil and plugs. Should have said "I had the coil and spark plugs replaced" instead of "I replaced...). Also, in the shop diagnosis they said they swapped the 8 coil pack with the number 2 pack. A new code was generated to indicate a cylinder 2 misfire. So the problem followed the bad part.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One that says throttle body cleaner right on the label. I posted this earlier, but I'll reiterate, how can a p174 code turn out to be a failed #8 coil? The computers not designed to register that #code for something like a coil, or sparkplug. That would be like in the past using a big Sun scope, and get no spike in kv reading on any 8 cylinders, and then have a bad misfire that turns out to be a bad spark plug wire. It just makes no sense. How did the first person that changed that # coil, know to go to #8, and not 6 or 7? If they changed all 8 like so many do, how would they know which one fixed the problem. That would be shotgun part changing. Anyone here with more gray matter than me got an explanation? I'm all eyes/ears.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
as mentioned, a specific issue on cyl8 brings up a specific code, sounds like u got bad advice,

1st thing i'd look for with a p0174 is a vac leak, a breach in that system (buncha hoses) alone can cause major engine running issues, that might be nothing more than reconnecting 2 hoses together

i think u continued to drive it that way for some time & now it's worse, it could be that there are other codes now & i'd check that too

My 2000 exp, 350k miles, is showing code p0174 at autozone. A little history...truck was meticulously maintained since "birth" by my father. He gave each and every detailed record/receipt to me along with the truck 1yr ago. The truck has been running extremely rough for a good little while now. It stalls randomly in idle and now, even when Ive been driving. I have kept up with maintenance and repair as needed. I just replaced the battery and alternator.

Autozone suggested for me to replace cyl #8 (ignition coil), use a fuel injection cleaner, and replace spark plugs. Im in a desperate predicament, as I am a single mom. I need to drive it to work an hour away 2moro. I am leary about their feedback and can't afford to waste the parts I bought. Any suggestions, thoughts, advice is much appreciated. Can I easily handle the ignition coil thing myself?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jefes_Shyt