2001 4.6 Plug Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PBH

Reaction score
I've been having intermittent 'check engine' (misfire P030X) warnings and rough running since Christmas. I finally pulled all my plugs and changed them.

With just 90,000 miles on the plugs they were totally worn out. The electrode on each plug had eroded leaving a huge gap, no wonder my truck ran like crap.

Also, two of the plugs were immersed in oil (#3 and #7), which I assume is caused by a leaky valve cover? Anybody had this problem?

I believe the manual says 100,000 miles. Don't wait that long.

PS - have fun if try and do this yourself, start with #7, if you can do that one, you can do them all.

mustangrfast88

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i was going to say have fun but since you have already did it i bet you had fun. was it the top of the plug that had oil on them or the electod end and i have seen leakining valve covers and that will cause that, and yes the book does say 100000 but never wait that long because most spark plugs are only good for 50000

OP
OP
P

PBH

Reaction score
The top of the plug was immersed in oil. About 1/2 way up the insulator. i.e., the top of the plug is sitting in a well of oil. I assume it fills up to there then runs down the side of the block.

On both of these cylinders the lower half of the COP was glued to the plug and very difficult to get out of the hole.

I expect a transverse mini-van to be this hard to do the plugs on. I've never seen a V-8 that was this bad.

At Ford they call this 'progress' and 'an advancement in technology'.

toocivil

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would also recommend changing the plug wires. I have a 99 f150 along with my 03 expedition. On my 99 I had the same problem with it running ****** around 90k. I changed the wires at that time because I noticed some of the boots that slip on the spark plugs looked a little worn. After doing it, the truck ran great. One tip though, don't get a cheap set or you'll be doing it again before you know it. By the way my 99 f150 is for sale if anyone is interested.