Ugly Plugs....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

USAF Sarge

Reaction score
We picked up our 2006 Expedition Ltd after both our Jeeps were totaled by the insurance company after Hurricane Michael kicked our backside.

In the glovebox of the Expo was a invoice for work done at a shop local to where we picked it up. The previous owner had it in for maintenance and one of the items on the invoice ticket was the plugs having been changed. This was at about 12,000 miles under the then current mileage. We've put around 10,000 on it since we got it in Nov 2018.

Check engine light came on yesterday and when we pulled the codes, we got a misfire on cylinder 6. My wife took it into the shop today for the work. My medical issues make it hard for me to do certain things now, which sucks, as we have always done the vehicle maintenance ourselves.

I can't fantom plugs looking like this at 22,000 miles, and after seeing the pictures glad I didn't do the job, as I would still be out there making up new curse words.

20230314_200209.jpg
20230314_200222.jpg

Last edited:

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i certainly agree that doesn't like 22k mile plugs. They look more like 220k miles plugs along with being extremely dirty. Plugs on these is not terrible, but it's not the easiest by any means. I bought a ratchet that has a flex head and another joint like 4" back. Makes the 2 passenger side rear plugs pretty easy to do. I can all 8 in about an hour now.

OP
OP
USAF Sarge

USAF Sarge

Reaction score
i certainly agree that doesn't like 22k mile plugs. They look more like 220k miles plugs along with being extremely dirty. Plugs on these is not terrible, but it's not the easiest by any means. I bought a ratchet that has a flex head and another joint like 4" back. Makes the 2 passenger side rear plugs pretty easy to do. I can all 8 in about an hour now.

Agree I didn't want to come straight out and say it in my original post above, but it leaves me wondering if the shop charged her (Original owner) for work, they didn't do!

Last edited:
OP
OP
USAF Sarge

USAF Sarge

Reaction score
Be thankful they all came out with out breaking.

Mechanic that did the work said the same thing, and was prepared for that to happen and was surprised none did. So he was happy about it, but was amused by the terminal stud breaking off on two of the plugs.

Edited to add: The mechanic told my wife he went with a three step removal. Pre-soaked them with a penetrant, applied heat, and did something else.

Last edited:
OP
OP
USAF Sarge

USAF Sarge

Reaction score
I tell you what, with those ugly plugs changed out, the Beast runs like a scalded ape now. I swear CINC Household is going to get a speeding ticket if she isn't careful. Still need to deal with some little projects on it, but nothing that keeps it from running.

Awesome to be mobile again that is for sure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnjohn205