2001 Eddie Bauer constantly blowing hot air

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jabert

Reaction score
I just had the thermostat and all the coolant hoses and connectors replaced on my 2001 Eddie Bauer (195k miles). Now there is a constant slow flow of hot air out of the dashboard vents, even with the heating/cooling system completely turned off. Closing the vents reduces the air flow, of course, but doesn't solve the problem. Any clue what's going on?

rjrodney

Reaction score
No temp control comes down to the blend door / blend door actuator. Depending on your model you may also have 2 blend circuits up front if there are left right controls. Probably not on a 2001 I guess. Just one in front and one in back.

If it’s just the actuator, you can fix it without removing the dash but they go out together.

Grab a piece of heater hose and use it to listen where the actuator is down low under the dash in the middle. You’ll probably hear some gears whirring and plastic crunching when you move the temp control between extremes.

OP
OP
J

jabert

Reaction score
I haven't driven the car much since the problem started, but it's become much worse. Taking the car off the road until I can figure out what's wrong. Smoke and an electrical-burn smell coming out of the vents! I'm replacing the blower motor today, hoping that's the fix.
Does anyone know what else the problem might be? I have a feeling this might be a serious issue.

OP
OP
J

jabert

Reaction score
Replaced the blower - a PITA, for sure. Hot-air in vents problem persists and now I've noticed the air flow out of the dash vents is minimal even with the blower at high speed. Mid and rear vents have normal, fast air flow.

OP
OP
J

jabert

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where the blower resistor is located? It's not in any of the easy-to-access places shown in any of the on-line videos. It's not next to the blower motor. Not behind the glove box . . . I can't find it anywhere.
2001 5.4 Eddie Bauer.

OP
OP
J

jabert

Reaction score
Thanks so much rjrodney! The link you sent not only filled me in on the resistor location, which is different on vehicles like mine with Electronic Automatic Temperature Control, but also directed me to problem-solving with the EATC itself. Fixing the problem with my unit might be as simple as replacing four O-rings!
This site is such a money-saver and aggravation reducer!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire