2022 HVAC blowing hot air on driver - TSB may be on-the-way

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On the way to dealer appointment this morning, I noted my driver side HVAC vents were blowing hot air. First thought maybe just because cool night and it was warming my interior to the set temp, but some miles later I happened to reach over to adjust a passenger vent and found cold air blowing. Both sides are set to same temp. I cranked the driver side as low as it would go, but hot air kept flowing. I mentioned this to the dealer, and after some minutes they came back and said Ford is aware and working on a TSB with an updated component, but it's not out yet. So my choice whether to tear apart the dash and install another faulty part, or wait for the upgrade to be released.

I'm curious whether others are hearing similar, and FYI this may be complete coincidence, but last night on my way home from work was the first time I ever used MAX AC to cool it down quickly. Seems odd that this happens the next time I run it. Approx. 6300 miles and a bit less than 10 months in service.

I'll mess around tonight and see if it's only a dash vent level issue, or entire driver side. In short, can I find a workaround to not having hot air blow on me as we enter the hottest part of Summer.

JKautz

Reaction score
I just had an HVAC issue on my 2020 Max (30k miles), but it wound up being a failed rear condenser. All my vents blew hot air. Literally caught it 1 week before the warranty expired. Good luck. Sounds like a blend door issue or software issue for you.

OP
OP
m3olsen

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks @JKautz . The Expy was stuck in the shop until Friday afternoon (they were sent the wrong part and no one had checked until my glass had already been removed). I had completely forgotten about this issue so was curious when I drove it on Saturday. Blowing cold air now. Weird.

Tyra

Reaction score
Mine does something else odd. Every so often when I turn up the radio volume with the knob all of a sudden the heat turns on to high and the ventilation screen appears on the display. I have been careful to be sure I wasn't bumping anything on the screen and it still does it randomly. I can turn it off but not sure why it does it on its own.

OP
OP
m3olsen

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine does something else odd. Every so often when I turn up the radio volume with the knob all of a sudden the heat turns on to high and the ventilation screen appears on the display. I have been careful to be sure I wasn't bumping anything on the screen and it still does it randomly. I can turn it off but not sure why it does it on its own.
That IS strange - I haven't seen that one yet. Yesterday when I remote started it to get some cooling action going before I hopped in, I found the HVAC turned off completely upon entry and startup. Never seen that one before, and I sure as heck didn't shut it off when I had parked it.

SunnySunshine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check out this thread: https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/2020-plat-nav-screen-audio-issues.53891/

Hopefully your APIM isn't failing. See if anything else is amiss...