2001 PATS key question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silverexp

Reaction score
OK so I only have one key for my 01 expedition, and it is starting to wear. We went to the dealership on 3 separate occasions to see about getting one made and programmed, and after being quoted 2 different prices, we finally were told that they can't program the new key because ford doesn't keep the codes for more than 10 years. Does anyone know of a way around this, or is the dealer full of it? Thanks

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would check with a local locksmith that does automotive key programing. with just one key he should be able to program a second key for you. once you have two working keys you than can buy blank pats keys and have them cut and then be able to program them yourself. this was what I had to do for my 2001.

OP
OP
silverexp

silverexp

Reaction score
Ok. Thanks for the reply. Someone else I know mentioned that already, but everything I found online said there's no way around the dealer. I'll try that, and if it doesn't work I guess I'll have to redneck it a little.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As I posted that was what I did with my 2001 I only had one key and I got a blank pats key from e-bay Had it cut and then took it to a locksmith who programed the new key. Cost for the locksmith was around $50.00 Once you have two working keys you can then program more yourself up to the max amount that the pats system can take.

That is the way to get around the dealer.

OP
OP
silverexp

silverexp

Reaction score
Wife went to a locksmith today and is driving home with the new key. The advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junker