2002 EXPEDITIONRe-installing the rear passenger door trim piece where the window switch sits.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ted Rund

Reaction score
Hello All,
I thought this would be a simple replacement, but I was wrong. For reference, I include the following photos:

PHOTO 1- Side by side with the broken old trim piece on the bottom. Note, all four clips that hold the trim in place in the door armrest are broken. Therefore, the trim piece does NOT stay seated in the armrest. You can see the charcoal rectangle box opening (on the side, for the grey switch insert) is also broken.
PHOTO 2- The broken trim piece removed.
PHOTO 3- A great close-up shot (zoom in to see it better) of the broken charcoal rectangle box AND the switch with its grey "wing clips". These little "wing clips" are my big problem.
PHOTO 4- The rear DRIVERS side trim piece sits nicely in the door armrest. (To give you an idea how the passenger side should also look.)

QUESTIONS....
Is there a specialized pliers that is used to squeeze in those little grey "wing clips" to get the window switch out without destroying anything? If not, any recommendations? If there is such a tool, please include a photo of it.

Thanks,
TED

Attachments

• 20220127_161429.jpg
    20220127_161429.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 8
  • s-l400.jpg
    s-l400.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20211223_122337.jpg
    20211223_122337.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220127_203047.jpg
    20220127_203047.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 9

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just use a couple of jewelers flat head screwdrivers inserted between the switch and the trim. That's just what I have handy that's small enough to work without breaking anything. it can be a bit tricky and sometimes I have to ask for another set of hands to help.

I have also used #4 finish nails in a pinch.

OP
OP
T

Ted Rund

Reaction score
Who would have thought.....Thanks, I will try the jewelers screwdrivers.

OP
OP
T

Ted Rund

Reaction score
Whtbronco,
I tried the jewelers screwdrivers method, but couldn't get the, grey "wing clips" to back out gently without breaking anything. At this point, I think it is best to leave in the switch that came with the replacememt trim piece (see PHOTO 1). I will solder together the replacement switch leads to my existing wiring, after I cut off my perfectly good switch. Oh well.