How to: Install dashcam in 4th gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kered

Reaction score
I decided to do this write-up when I was almost finished with this install so I apologize for the limited pics. I still think it could help someone thinking about tackling this themselves. I initially had this dash cam on my F150 but took it out when I traded it in. This is a Thinkware F200 Pro front and rear camera install on a 2020 Expedition Max XLT, but I think it should work the same on any cam and any trim.

Here is the camera I installed.
Thinkware F200 Pro

Here is the fuse tap I used.
Fuse Tap kit

First I popped of the plastic piece above the rear view mirror. Simply pull down and it should pop off pretty easy. This unit has a wire for power and a wire that runs to the rear camera so I left enough wire hanging down to connect and ran the wire though the clip thats already there and tucked it into the headliner.
20230717_202609.png

Tuck the wires into the headliner to the passenger side. Remove the rubber gasket trim around the door but only remove the front part where you are working Remove the cover on the "Oh shiiiii" handle and use a 10mm socket to remove the two screws. Then the whole panel should just pop right off by pulling.
20230717_194739.jpg

There are already clips to clip the wires in under there so use those.
20230717_202701.jpg
Run the power cable down pillar to the fuse panel by your feet in the floor board. You can see in this picture where I attached the ground.
20230717_202732.jpg

The cover of the fuse panel is on the side where your feet go. Once again just pull and it pops right off.

I attached the constant to fuse #29 and the accessory to fuse #37
20230715_130607.jpg

At this point, I hooked up the cam and made sure everything worked before moving onto the rear cam.

Remove the rubber door gasket from the top of the front and rear door and run the wire along there being careful not to put it where it will interfere with the airbags. Once you're past the doors tuck it into the headliner till you get to the rear lift gate.

Apparently I can only upload 5 photos so I'll continue with the rear cam install on the next post.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kered

Kered

Reaction score
To install the rear cam simply pop off these panels by gently pulling down on them.
20230717_210104.jpg

Run the wire up through here
20230717_202918.jpg

Through here and out the top.
20230717_202830.jpg

You'll see a cut in the side panel on the door for an existing wire. Run your wire through that and pop the panels back on and you're done.

Here is the finished product.

20230715_145305.jpg
20230715_145543.jpg

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks nice. Clean install. I would move the rear to the one side as it makes little to no difference. I did a bunch of tests before installing mine.

Dewey3

Reaction score
That is a very nice job! Just out of curiosity, is there a reason that you did not tap into the power wires right there behind the overhead fascia? I've always wanted to permanently power my dash cam... currently on power point... but have never been brave enough to remove that overhead fascia trim. I am asking in case there is a reason that I have not though of. Thanks.

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is a very nice job! Just out of curiosity, is there a reason that you did not tap into the power wires right there behind the overhead fascia? I've always wanted to permanently power my dash cam... currently on power point... but have never been brave enough to remove that overhead fascia trim. I am asking in case there is a reason that I have not though of. Thanks.

When i did mine I looked at that route and they make harnesses to plug in, problem is DashCams most of them do not like being abruptly powered off. I have had a few that corrupts the last file. Some claim to have a cap in them but those also never powered down good.
Its simpler to run a power wire for a few reasons.
- Does not interfere with the electronics in the mirror (power draw, etc)
- Does not void warranty as they question everything
- It provides a RED always on and a YELLOW acc wires so the DashCam can power down when yellow is off while having red power on for the shut down.

phil2045

Reaction score
I've had a Wolfbox Mirror/Camera kit for 3 mos now and have yet to install it. Thought it about the other day, saw this post and said "let's put this on already".
My question for you is how well do the rear camera wires work when you open just the glass?
Since I have the shelf in the back I find myself opening the glass more often then the whole liftgate.

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had a Wolfbox Mirror/Camera kit for 3 mos now and have yet to install it. Thought it about the other day, saw this post and said "let's put this on already".
My question for you is how well do the rear camera wires work when you open just the glass?
Since I have the shelf in the back I find myself opening the glass more often then the whole liftgate.
I put mine on the far left side and wrapped the wire inside the heater element wire coil. Works like a champ.

Reaction score
I’m really interested to learn about your experience. I’m thinking of buying the Wolfbox G900 for my 2019 XLT. Keep us posted!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire