2003 EB 5.4 4WD Front ball Joints question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BerndM

Reaction score
I have looked in online for directions on how to replace the lower front ball joint(s) on my 03 EB 5.4 4WD and there is conflicting information as to whether or not the ball joints are replaceable OR the ball joints only come preinstalled in a new lower control arm.
YouTube was not helpful either. They show plenty of video on 97-2003 for F150 but only up to 2002 for the expy.
So my question is: do I need to get the whole control arm with BJ already installed or can they be replaced without a new control arm?
Thanks

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The lowers are replaceable. The uppers are not. To replace the uppers you would replace the whole upper A-arm. But your life will be much, much easier if you replace the whole lower A-arm rather than just do the ball joint. Unless you already have the monster C-clamp ball joint tool kit, you'll need that as well. What's the mileage on your Expy? It probably wouldn't hurt to replace the lower A-arm bushings as well. That all comes installed on a new A-arm for just a few more dollars than buying individual parts and spending the time and energy to press them out and press them in.
Check on Rock Auto's website for prices. http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2003,expedition,5.4l+v8,1411119,suspension

-Mike

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anupe