2003 EB Smelling Antifreeze Inside Vehicle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm certainly not arguing with the owner who has confirmed the heater core was leaking but I had the same smell in my '03EB about 6 months after I bought it. It had 148K miles and I searched EVERYWHERE for a coolant leak and couldn't find it. Finally, while at a friends shop to replace a couple of tires, I asked him to find the leak. He couldn't find it either until he did a leak down test and found the headgasket leaking between the water jacket and cylinder, with no out-of-engine leak so I never would have seen it. It was very minor at first, but soon expanded to needing coolant added every 150 miles or so. After a lot of thought due to the same reasons Stamp notes above, I used the "Pour-n-go" and the issue was "repaired" without any impact on the heater or cooling of the engine. The leak stopp was added in May and I drove it through the winter and the heaters worked fine, both front heater and rear. For me, it wasn't worth the $2,500-$2,800 to replace the headgasket on a truck I only paid 5 grand for and although I know how and have the tools, I hate working on cars(I like bikes) and am fortunate that I can afford to pay for things I no longer feel like doing.

I drove it for another 18 months, getting up to 171K on it before the transmission began slipping but it never leaked again. Just my experience with the hoogie sauce.

jeff

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just curious Jeff, what hoogie sauce did you use? Most of them do plug up cooling systems, worse than too much cheese plugs us humans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used the Pour-N-Go because I had just refilled with new coolant and didn't feel like draining it all out to use with the other stuff.

This is the stuff I bought but DIDN'T use: I didn't realize that I had to drain the system before buying this. It still sits on my shelf.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Devil-...ash=item4b0df831ac:g:4r0AAOSw44BYTfZL&vxp=mtr

And this is the stuff I USED:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Devil-...ash=item3d2db5caab:g:MmwAAOSwV0RXq1Yo&vxp=mtr

Stuff worked great! Still running strong even though the truck has been parked for a few weeks since the tranny went south. I poured this stuff almost a year and a half ago! Heat and AC, including the rear systems are still perfect. I would never have bought my new truck had the trans not given out.

jeff