2003 EB200, 2 wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi Folks - long time no post. lol

So I picked up my 2003 2wd EB with about 140k in 2019. Decent shape. I was good about doing the fluids and the truck seemed to run well.

Fast forward to 2023 - I decided to have a friend/mechanic change my plugs and coils. I now have 166K, so not a bunch of miles.

I was concerned about a broken plug but he didn't seem to think it would be a problem. He did blow out the plug wells of any debris, all plugs came out easily.

Do not know if this is possible, but on cyl #8 he found a Motorcraft plug - he was wondering if it is was original (on a 20yo truck!), is that even possible?

This all came about because I used a local shop (NTB) to diagnose CEL and ended up changing ONE coil. To the tune of $374 and change. I was pissed. I'm recovering from foot reconstruction or I would have tackled it - it was cyl #1 even. Easy.

So I bought a new set of coils off of Amazon, and already had FORD Motorcraft plugs. All good. It did take him a minute to hit 4,5, 7 and 8.

When I fired up, it felt like a different beast. Much smoother even though my existing plugs looked pretty good, but some buildup, no oil - I guess good. Dry old plugs.

I just need to do another oil change and coolant (partial flush) to get ready for the Texas summer, which is already here.

Just to say, if you have not changed plugs in a while, consider it. Glad I did it. While you are there consider coils. My coils were good, but I feel better now having a newer although aftermarket set.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EOXZLG2?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
$31.99. I'll report back in a few months with any issues.

And he only charged my $150 for his labor which seems fair.

Cheers,

Dick