2003 expy sputtered and now wont start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blakhwk

Reaction score
title pretty much sums it up started sputtering when at idle and died a couple times. figured it was because of low tank my gas light was on. so i filled it up and it stopped. that is until last night my mom took it to see some friends while she was in town and it wouldnt start after she got there. i have no idea where to start. it tries to turn over but almost seems like it isnt getting fuel. anyone have this same problem??

SUVTank

Reaction score
Don't take my word for this but I had a friend and this was happening to his expy as well and what was diagnosed was a wire for the fuel pump was shorting. Had to rip the seats and carpet out and replace the wires. Not sure about yours though. Could be a possibility.

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have one suggestion, and then if that doesn't work I suspect the fuel pump, and I'll explain why.

First, check the fuel pump reset button- it's usually hidden on the left wall of the rear storage area, near the floor and tailgate. It's behind a little plastic panel that pops right off. Usually the button only pops on impact from a crash, but sometimes it pops for no reason. It's also explained in the owners manual, and also on a sticker under the hood near the radiator.

Now, the reason I suspect a possible pump failure. I've seen this a bunch of times over the years, exactly what you're explaining. The person runs low or completely out of fuel, and then the pump fails. The pumps fail because they over heat when the fuel level is low. The pump is mounted inside the fuel tank and uses fuel to cool itself. It's also extremely bad to cavitate the pump like when it runs with no fuel. It can destroy itself in less than a minute. When the fuel tank level is low, the fuel gets hotter. Not as bad as an older "return" type fuel system that's constantly returning hot fuel from then engine compartment, but still hot because the pump itself is hot and has a small amount of fuel around it to cool off.

A friend of mine had the same thing happen last month on his BMW. I towed him home, and then we started troubleshooting. He didn't believe it was the pump, because it would randomly work and restart. So I popped the rear seat out, took a hammer, and banged on the top of the fuel pump. Immediately the pump kicked on and the car started. That got him around town a few more weeks until he had the $$ for a new pump.