2003 Ford Expedition air suspension completly off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

driverjohn2005

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yesterday; I took a cross state trip in the Expedition. On the way over everything, as usual, worked as it should. But when I got back into the Expedition to head back I could feel I was riding a lot lower to the ground and the ride was REALLY rough/bouncy. I pulled over and saw that the entire Expedition was at least 4-5 inches lower to the ground. Then I started to noctice the air pump wasn't even kicking on like it usually does. The "check air susupension" light came on shortly thereafter on the insturment panel. I tried multiple times turning off/on the Expedition along with trying to flip the switch in the back luggage area to see if that would somehow reset the system to work again. To say the least it was a very LONG and ROUGH drive home.

Any suggestions on where to start diagnosing the problem? Anyone else have this issue before?

Thank you!

40eastvp

Reaction score
Compressor

Just a little info my 97 expo had the same problem it turned out my compressor went. and a tip when changing the compressor change the drier. I also bought all for air bags via an aftermarket brand over a year ago with no further issues. truck runs smooth even towing my enclosed motorcycle trailer.
Hope this info is useful. good luck

2001Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went thru this not 2 weeks ago, I'm actually in the replacing the air bags with coils. My compressor drier blew the cap straight off, it's located on a 01 expy (im not sure on a 03) right in front of the windshield washer reservoir. I would check there first. If I were you, I would replace it with coils instead of replacing the airbags. Less hassle in the long run

I got my from rockauto.com, some people use strutmasters.com also. Both are good companies.

OP
OP
D

driverjohn2005

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the responce guys.

I ended up checking all the fuses and nothing was wrong there. I assumed it must have been the compressor that went out.

Ended up taking it into the shop; they told me today that it's the compressor (that is located near the windshield washer reservoir on my 03 as well) that needs to be replaced. I won't tell you the amount of money it's going to cost but I think I almost fainted when I heard the total. It sounds like the bags themselves are fine.

Here's a pic when I droped her off. She's filthy from the drive over and back on the mountain passes and it's from my cell phone so it's not the best resolution/clarity...

47664_10150103737862275_502092274_7510824_3012875_n.jpg

2001Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You may still have problems with it after they replace the compressor. Because there is a glitch or something in the computer programing that causes it to keep blowing the dryer cap off. I'm not sure about the years but I'm sure someone else can chime in.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wolf_Lazarus