Question? I jacked up rear put it in neutral engine not running

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stan911

Reaction score
Question? I jacked up rear put it in neutral engine not running and can only rotate the wheels about a 1/4 turn either way. Hear a click or clunk some where on the drive shaft and wheel stops. What's going on?

SafariGoneWrong

Reaction score
I suggest disconnecting the driveshaft from the differential and rotate wheels like you are doing. That will isolate the differential. It’s hard for me to believe the differential came unglued inside but it needs to be ruled out…or maybe not.

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like you're in Park still for some reason. I agree with SafariGoneWrong, you're gonna have to isolate things to find the issue. Hmm, any chance you have it in AWD. if so once the play in the drivetrain between the front and rear axles is taken up it would stop turning. Did you get have rear tires off the ground?

SafariGoneWrong

Reaction score
I was thinking the Park pawl too. I’m not sure how it’s actuated in 4R70/75 but it seems a possible culprit. (I’m a C6 guy). In Neutral the transmission output shaft should be free to turn. With the engine off and no transmission fluid pressure there shouldn’t be a possibility of the wrong clutches engaging simultaneously. Good point by whtbronco on the AWD.