2003 off road integrity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DAMN_FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyboby take their 03 expedition off road? We made a long trip in the AZ dessert on non paved roads last weekend. The steering wheel rattles almost out of your hands. All four the doors rattle in their jams. They actually buffet your legs if your knee is against the door panel. It is quite loud inside, especially when you hit wash board. Is this just how Fords are? Or was min built on a Monday or something.

It has good traction though.

Is this really meant to be a soccer mom vehicle?

Can you put steering stabalizers on this thing?

Should I let air out of the tires?

Anyone else experience this kind of thing?

G

*whew* old post but I want to respond...

I take my 03 off road all the time. I live on the Big Island of Hawaii and have to drive through lava fields and some extremely hairly trails to get to the most pristine beaches in the world. WELL WORTH IT!

I, too, notice the steering whell. I took it in and guess what they said...YUP, you're right! "They couldn't reproduce it!" Morons. I have an appoinment to take the tech on a ride with me.

The doors rattling. Seems I read that there is a TBS concerning this and replacing the door seals and another component is suppose to be the fix. My driver's door rattled like heck. They adjusted to door stricker. It doesn't rattle as much but is a bit harder to shut all the way.

I think there is a steering dampner on it. I never checked...

The manual states not to let air out of the tires. Odd...I think they do it to cover their *****. Ford + low tire pressure + lawsuits.

As long as you have a way to air them back up. ANd speaking of tires, the COnti's do not fare well when pitted up against lava rock. I got chunks of rubber (small ones) taken out already.

All in all, mine isn't as extreme as your posts suggests yours is. And I wheel mine quite often. I may, in fact, be the only guy who regularly takes his $40K SUV, loaded with his 4 kids and wife , onto trails that are usually inhabited only by big lifted Super Dutys. Having 2 opposite wheels dangling in the air is just another day.

Oh...and yes...these are indeed soccermom mobiles. C'mon, it's got 4 wheel INDEPENDANT suspension!! That certainly ain't for the true SUV crowd! hehehe

But the truck is pretty stout.

OP
OP
D

DAMN_FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep I expected that I would be riding in class in comfort off road in my 40K new SUV. But, it felt like I was driving an old travelall or something. Oh well. I will just strap the family in tight and turn up the radio.

That independant suspension must be a pavement thing. She does ride nice on road.

My tires have chunks of tread missing as well.

I will have them check the doors amoung other things next time it is in the shop.

Thanks for the reply!

monsta

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I should say that compared to my Excursion, this thing is like riding on a magic carpet on washboard roads, any rough pavement and through somewhat technical trails. :)