2003 triton 5.4 loud noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red92lx

Reaction score
Pull the belt and check all pulleys, especially the two smooth idlers and the smaller pulley that's part of the tensioner. I'd bet you have at least one that's making noise. Spin each one with the belt off, if one seems rough then remove it and spin with your fingers to see how bad it really is.

I agree. Most likely a pulley that needs replacing. I would follow the advice given above and then once you have verified it is a pulley, replace all the pulleys and belt in one repair. If you buy the parts online (rockauto) it is pretty cheap and good insurance to avoid being stuck on the side of the road with a frozen pulley and broken belt!

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Precisely, I bought the Gates kit from Rockauto for my '05 Expy, it's a 3v engine which has 3 idlers and a tensioner, paid 82 bucks for it. The tensioner was pretty darn identical to the Motorcraft I pulled out, to the point where I am 99% sure it came out from the same cast. All cast marks and such was identical.

juan214

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, with basic tools.
A 1/2" drive ratchet with a pipe (or a 1/2" breaker bar), plus the belt diagram.

Worst case if you don't the ratchet or breaker bar you would need a tensioner tool. Whichever is affordable for you. Keep in mind the tensioner is a unitasker the other two tools would be used more often.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Trumposarus

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what this pulley is called?

Attachments

• 6syF2Lc.jpg
    6syF2Lc.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 27
  • OWLJdFJ.jpg
    OWLJdFJ.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It would be easier to determine which pulley it is by posting a pic of it on the engine instead of a label.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks like an idler. Depending on how it is made (metal or plastic) it will require a replacement or just a bearing swap. Quicker to replace the entire assembly if you don't have the tools to swap out the bearings.
Most autoparts stores should be able to get what you need. Daco is a brand that I used back when I was buying parts for the county school system.

Last edited: