2004 EXPY 5.4 low rough idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SuitCat

Reaction score
Ok guys, iv searched far and wide for a solution.
I have a EB EXPY, 2004, 5.4, 4x4 with 170k miles on it
Just a month ago I would pull up to a stoplight and the battery sign would flash, then the car would stall. It did this every now and again.
So I got a new battery and had a shop replace my terminals.
Now it wont die, but after I put it in park, and sit for a bit, the idle drops to about 700-800 and I can feel the car shake, not the "5.4 shake", I mean, serious problem shake, I can hear the engine struggle to stay alive also. Im selling this car in less then a week, anyone have a solution before I take it to the ford dealership?
Before the shop did the terminals I noticed the "service engine soon" and the oil light come on even though the oil pressure gauge was fine?
Anyone have a solution?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

SuitCat

Reaction score
Im not sure, I was going to have it tested right after that.

B

bedrck46

The hot idle speed for the 2004 5.4 should be 600-650 rpm's
Check for vacuum leaks by using a can of spray carb cleaner and spraying around the hoses
also check the throttle body for clogged exhaust ports
Find out what the codes were and either post them here for some advice or research them on line
Check fuel pressure or replace the fuel filter
When was the last time plug/coils were changed??

OP
OP
S

SuitCat

Reaction score
15,000 miles ago!

OP
OP
S

SuitCat

Reaction score
Right, but when it sits for 10 mins or so I can feel the car shake pretty bad, I can hear the engine struggling to maintain constant idle as it shakes.

B

bedrck46

that would indicate that you are having a problem and you need to do some maintenance again check for vacuum leaks Throttle body Fuel filter??
and find out what codes came up as that will better help those that want to help you

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Spark plugs/misfires would be my bet. Stop at an autozone and they will read the codes for free. Post them here and we will be much more help.