2004 Ford Expedition 4.6L Frustration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vtefire

Reaction score
My 2004 Ford Expedition 4.6L has a very bad rough idle. When I start it up in the morning, it starts then starts to shake. Once it gets running, it idles rough. When I get it on the road, it has a very bad hesitation when driving. When I press on the gas to go a little faster that is when the hesitation starts and then I have to back down on the accelerator. Once I get past 40 miles an hour then it starts to act normal. I have changed all the COP's and spark plugs. I did change my fuel filter and the gas that was in it and it was black. I put a new one on and changed it again and this time the gas was clean, but I still have the rough idling and bad hesitation for acceleration. I have run it through diagnostic tests and there are no codes that would show up. So I am at my wits end. Also, the engine light does not come on and when it is cold it is worse. So I really need help. If anyone can help me I would very much appreciate it. Thank you

tmajikman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Buy a can of carburator cleaner, run the motor and spray it around your vacuum hoses, if the idle changes, you found the area where there is a leak, replace the vacuum hose, also make sure your pcv valve is good, should be able to shake it and it will make a rattle noise, also, not sure about the 4.6, but the 5.4 has an elbow at the back of the intake that is notorious for breaking or splitting, it is notorious for creating bad idle and several other driveability issues.

OP
OP
V

vtefire

Reaction score
Ok, did the carburator cleaner and I am relieved that I do not have an air leak, but I did have a problem when I went to the parts store and they could not located a PCV for a 2004 Ford Expedition 4.6L XLT. I have been unable to locate it on my vehicle as well. Can someone please tell me where it would be located at. Also I have searched the internet for some sort of diagram or helpful hint to help me find where the PCV is located and was unable to find any info for the 2004 Ford Expedition. So could it be and EGR issue/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhrrington