FRUSTRATING ISSUE WITH NEW SACHS STRUT & MOUNT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TORNIT07

Reaction score
I purchased two SACHS 316-534 front struts for my '07 EL. I also purchased two SACHS upper mounts PART # 803075 ALT # JSB4930S (Private Label package/closeout, was TRW's). Here is the issue. The strut rod that goes into the mount (threaded part) is NOT snug. It has clearance of perhaps 1/8 of an inch, or a bit less. I have checked several different websites and all list this strut and mount as the correct parts.

The current mounts are KYB & were installed in 2018. I'm fairly certain they are still fine, but wanted to replace them anyway since the KYB struts were such garbage. I've already returned a set of GABRIEL struts this month because they had MADE IN CHINA stamped on them....everything I read indicated made in USA, but, no.

Here is my plan...and opinions/comments are WELCOME. I will fit a bushing/sleeve, whether metal or nylon, over the rod to take up the gap & create a snug fit as it should be. I believe that will solve the problem. If I were to assemble the strut without doing so, I think it would be OK for a while but eventually would begin to shift & make noise.

Or, am I wrong? It that kind of gap acceptable in this application? Every shock/strut I can ever recall installing has either been a snug fit or had factory bushings to make it snug. ANybody el;se run into this issue?

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Likely you should have a metal washer on either side of the top mount plate.

OP
OP
T

TORNIT07

Reaction score
The new strut only came with a nylon insert lock nut. I will reuse the flat washer from the old strut. It has one thick flat washer ontop. It does not require one where the strut shaft meets the bottom/inside part of the mount. However, the washer really does nothing to address the clearance around the mount and strut rod. There is no recess for any washer to set in, so under the right circumstances it has potential to slide around.

Also I can see where the mount may possibly have a slight tilt to one side when I release pressure from the spring upon reassembly. Even if that doesn't happen, at some point down the road there is potential for movement inside the mount. Maybe not? I'm not really sure. I bought some nylon bushings today. I have to work on the OD to make them fit snug into the mount, then drill just enough from the center of the bushing for the rod to fit through.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett