2005 developed loud engine knock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Uberexpy

Reaction score
220CD3CE-E51A-4F32-ACD4-124EA063726C.jpeg 35BFD6A6-43DC-425C-AABE-39B88D3EFE23.jpeg
The roller follower on the left was the culprit. The cam lobe it rode on had some false brinelling with metal transfer to the lobe from the seized bearing. I put the cam on a lathe and polished out the pits. I only lost 0.001” of lift. I can live with that.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did mine in April, I used a new Ford OEM oil pump along with the rest of the OEM stuff. (I’m the only guy I’ve seen do this AT ALL lol). Everyone else uses the Melling. So far no issues with the new stock Ford parts. A blown out tensioner was my only symptom, a startup rattle. Valvetrain was still in good shape in my case.

E7DD8CC9-E8D8-47EF-8265-FFB3C17DC188.jpeg
D9EA0058-1FD6-4A34-9CC5-E703388BDF05.jpeg

Last edited:

mfdbackdraft

Reaction score
Well got the bad news, technician says the knock is diagnosed as internal and likely in the block not the valve train, they quote new engine at $9,300.....LOL. Not sure I buy this diagnosis considering how well it runs and no codes. But looking like it's time to replace. Would hate to do a timing job then still have the knock.

Appears all the new Expy's have the 3.5 twin turbo, questioning the lifespan of the turbos and motor with the high pressures they run.

mfdbackdraft

Reaction score
Im in same boat. Change the 3.5 oil religiously as well, and read up on adding a filter for the ¿EGR gasses?. Hi temps and turbo pressure puts a lot of 'stuff' in the EGR pathway

Sam wiede

Reaction score
Wow! My 06 5.4 Exped with only 102,000 miles and previously running strong is now at the dealer with a very similar problem. Number five and number seven cylinders misfiring, and all the related codes. Technician/service rep quoted $4000 repair estimate. Ouch! I’m now waiting on parts and have been told some parts have been known to take 2 to 3weeks to get due to COVID-19 etc. etc.

On the bright side they gave me a 2020 expedition max as a loaner. Wow! What a machine! I think I’ll ask if they’ll trade me Even Steven. What’s my odds?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Honestly I'm not surprised there hasn't been a class action suit against Ford for the replacement of the early 3V motors. They were garbage and caused the majority of owners so much money and heartache.