2005 Expedition Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rocketvette95

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have had a lot of differant trucks in the last few years. We have never owned a 2nd Generation Expedition. I had a 2002 4x4 eddie Bauer that I loved,but then I saw a 2005 4x4 Eddie Bauer White with every option except heated seats and navigation. I drive it and had to have it. So I have my new to me 2005 that has 3.73 single traction rear. I am having some work done to my house,and the driver of this F-350 gets off of the driveway and gets stuck. So I stepped ut and told the guy my Expedition would be able to pull it out no problem. Now I have a set of Cooper Discovery ATR's with half tread or more on them. I hook up the chain,pull up to get the slack out,and I go NOWHERE. The right front tire spins,and then I get out and the left rear tire has just sat there and dug up some grass. So I try again with the same results,and then I try one last time with the same sorry results. Now I know the I have 4x4 with 3.73 gears and a decent set of tires but come on FORD.These trucks weigh a ton and with that weight they sould be able to pull there on weight.I was really disappointed not being able to do something except dig two holes in my driveway,plus it cost me $100 to have a tow truck get the F350 out.SO I went to CAR-Part and I have found a few complete rear axle assy. for anywhere from $200 to $350. But I also noticed that there are not that many locking rear axles out there used.Now mine was built from 1-05 and there must have been some type of changes in the axles? So I have found a low milage complete rear unit for $200 and then I will have to install it which does not look that hard,and that should take care of the rear.
Now for the front. I went to Randy's Axles and was looking for something to install in the front. The do list a Ford Motorsport complete Traction Lock carrier that will work in the independent front axles.
So Has anyone ever installed a tractionlock in the FRONT axle. I know that most people dont because you can't turn the wheels but if you could put a T/L carrier in the front,would that have any ill effect on these Expeditions since we can at least put these in 2wd mode. Plus would the T/L put the front end in a bind all the time? If this would work I think that would make these trucks just as rugged and the Landcruiser and the Land Rovers

OP
OP
rocketvette95

rocketvette95

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was in 4LOW. The door sticker states I6 which is a 3.73 open carrier. It is hard to imagine that a truck with this kind of weight WILL NOT PULL A GREASY STRING OUT OF A CATS A**. I have had Tahoes,and Suburbans,Bronco's and etc and I have had great luck with all of them it just shocked me that this Expedition really had no low end grunt to pull. Maybe I just need to do a tune-up. I know it is time for some plugs (I have been putting this off because of all the problems I have read about on here). Other than that everything else is PERFECT! Runs great no issues while driving. Maybe it is just me

Whack

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The limited slip version (code H6) rear makes a big difference. I've been in the same issue pulling a lighter vehicle, but had complete success in 4lo

From my understanding the Limited slip was an option for 2005 and 2006, and not all had it.

You might be able to source a used one pretty cheap.

Only bigger difference would be a locker for the rear...

The 9.75in ford 12 bolt rear is shared with F150... a bunch of lockers are available. Just check to make sure the locker does mention compatibility with the Expy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rocketvette95

rocketvette95

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have been really lucky. I have found a couple of complete rear center sections with the H6 code for $200 or 250 along with a 3 month warranty. So I am going to upgrade mine to a locking rear.
But what do you guys think about the Traction Lock for the front? I am really stoked about putting a T/L in the front as long as it does not hamper the driving aspect.

Whack

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So swap the open diff with the factory limited slip?

Or get an extra diff, build in a locker, and then install the rear?