2005 Navigator doors locking constantly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heuster

Reaction score
Not sure if I can post about a Navigator in these forums, but I can't get any help in the "Navigator" forums so I thought I would try.

I bought a 2005 navigator in great shape. Test drive revealed NO problems at all. It's in really great shape and well cared for. I drove to the store, and noticed when I got out that the doors were locking constantly. About every 3-4 seconds the doors would relock and they just keep locking and will not stop unless you put the key in the ignition and turn to Acc or On. I have removed the batteries from the keyfobs hoping that it was a keyfob that was choking, nothing. If I open the rear tailgate, it stops. I left it open while I was putting away christmas lights and then closed it and the doors were not constantly locking anymore. I drove it to AutoZone to return a rental, and when I parked and walked away, it started locking again over and over. If I let it sit like this it's going to drain my battery. I've tried to find where a relay might be for the door locks at least to temporarily disable it so it doesn't drain the battery or ruin all my actuators.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

John Stephan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If I had to guess it would be the drivers door keypad. Pushing the right most buttons 7-8 and 9-0 simultaneously will lock all doors. Try smashing some other buttons and see if it interrupts the locking. It also could be either driver or passenger door lock switch with a broken toggle.

Beyond that, I'd pull the door card for driver and passenger doors to access the switches and unplug them one at a time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used to have the opposite problem - I'll use the lock on the driver's side door, and it unlocks itself. Repeatedly. Lock it, it unlocks.. Sometimes the keypad also doesn't work to open the truck. Usually it does. No rhyme or reason.

I did a master switch replacement but can't recall if the issue has recurred. I still get the 'door ajar' warning on the dash. I'll chase that down later.

OP
OP
H

heuster

Reaction score
If I had to guess it would be the drivers door keypad. Pushing the right most buttons 7-8 and 9-0 simultaneously will lock all doors. Try smashing some other buttons and see if it interrupts the locking. It also could be either driver or passenger door lock switch with a broken toggle.

Beyond that, I'd pull the door card for driver and passenger doors to access the switches and unplug them one at a time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It was the drivers side lock switch that must have been stuck and continuously locking the doors. I need to get a replacement. Have you guys had any luck with the aftermarket doorman units? Do they match the grey color or should I just go for one off ebay?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score