2005 Ride height sensors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MAP01

Reaction score
Happy New Year!

Took the holiday to replaced everything else but now it's down to the sensors.
Is there a procedure to test these things?
How does one determine the right from left?
is there such a thing as a good brand for these? I've Dorman (lasted 2 years), ebay version (so many offered but the one i chose was defective from the get go), Rock Auto (generally reliable) offers a few that vary from 50 to well over $100. Anyone have good luck getting good ones the first time around and where
Also Ford offers these under various different part numbers that are suppose to be interchangeable. Does that mean any RH is compatible with any LH or must they be sync'd at the dealer?
Appreciate anyone willing to share what they have found
Thanks
Marino

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Alldata says: NOTE: The RH and LH height sensors cannot be used on opposite sides of the vehicle.
Front sensor test:

Rear sensor test:

Jdizzle

Reaction score
If you can get a scan tool to monitor the height sensors then you can see the voltage fluctuate and tell if the sensor is good (fordtechmakuloco on YouTube goes over this and the process) but he’s using Ford’s IDS software. Issue is most scan tools can’t read it and if they can they don’t read it correctly. I purchased one on Amazon (Foxwell) that stated “all systems” for Ford and it couldn’t read the height sensor voltage so I returned it. Generally the right and left is if you were sitting in the car. Most reliable height sensor is direct from Ford but are expensive.
I came across a few different forum threads and found if you turn your air system off then it tells the solenoids to stay closed and the system doesn’t look at anything. If the air system is on and you have a bad height sensor, it can/will drop to the ground even while parked and not being used. I left mine off and it eventually went down (I knew one of mine were leaking somewhere). Replaced all the bags (under warranty), height sensor (doorman on Amazon), moved solenoids around as I found one shock has a leak, re-checked all of the shocks o-rings and used silicone grease on them (came across a few threads of o-rings causing problems but highly recommend using silicone grease on them), and still no luck. Only other option for me was buying all new complete strut assemblies for the front and back from Vigor.
I’ve already dumped over $700 (all 4 Arnott bags & a height sensor) into trying to save it along with multiple days of my time I’ll never get back. The air suspension helps with towing and is a nice ride but I’m done with it as you have to stop the insanity eventually and realize it’s going to have problems again eventually, time to go with a more reliable way. I also realized Ford doesn’t offer the air suspension anymore on Expeditions, too many issues. The other kicker is people have gone into Ford dealers and the Ford dealer tells them they should just convert it. I use mine to tow and really wanted to keep it but I also don't want the stress of it going down on me during a camping trip as it did one time but I was able to nurse it back home thankfully.
After many discussions with family and friends and research, I ended up purchasing the Rancho QuickLifts and they should arrive tomorrow! Got all 4 from 4wheelparts for $850 and decided against rockauto as they require you to pay for shipping if you need a warranty replacement. I have a local 4wp near me which is an authorized dealer and Rancho said RockAuto isn’t. Best of luck if you continue to try to fix it as it’s nice to have but a money pit to maintain.

Last edited: