2006 5.4 engine noise/knock/rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bbullitt

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Well, I'm experiencing a pretty bad engine noise. Can you help me diagnose it? I'm thinking it's something to do with the cam tensioner/phaser/etc. Truck is a 2006 Expy, with 76,000 miles, 4wd. Here's a quick video. HELP!!
th_VIDEO0001_zpse2ebae4f.jpg

Last edited:

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Cam phaser issues are common on the 3v motors but can't really say if that is what it is.

What I hear can just as easily be a bad bearing. I would get a mechanics stethoscope and carefully listen to different areas.

You could remove the accessory belt when the motor is cold and run it for a short duration to see if sound disappears. If so its a bearing on one of the accessories , idler or tensioner pulley. Just do not run it long this way as there is no alternator to keep the charge up and water pump will not spin!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bbullitt

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the replies, I'm going to pull the belt this weekend and see where I'm at. I'm keeping my fingers crossed it's a pulley or accessory issue...yea right. I'll keep you updated on what I find.

OP
OP
B

bbullitt

Reaction score
Update! I pulled the belt and started her up, no noise. Thanks toms89!! She was quiet as a mouse. It ended up being a bad bearing on the belt tensioner pulley. $35 dollars later and a new belt, $25, she's as good as new. My heart palpatations have gone away, easy fix. Thanks guys for the help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmdunham2