2006 Expedition Limited: Replace 4R75W with 4R100

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dexter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 5.4L engine with the 4R75E transmission (I believe) and I'm wondering if anyone has ever replaced this transmission with the 4r100? Or does anyone know if the 4r100 is interchangeable with the 4r75e? I'm looking to do a diesel swap and I can't find an adaptor plate for my current transmission, only for the 4r100.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it's going to be mated to the diesel, I would go for the 4r100 anyway. It's a bit more durable than the 4r75e. IIRC, the early diesels had the 4r100. Could be wrong though.....but I know the Lightnings had it.

OP
OP
Dexter

Dexter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it's going to be mated to the diesel, I would go for the 4r100 anyway. It's a bit more durable than the 4r75e. IIRC, the early diesels had the 4r100. Could be wrong though.....but I know the Lightnings had it.

Any idea how much work would be required to get the 4r100 in there? I've never really done any transmission work so this will be learning experience. How complicated is it to connect the gear select that's actually in the Expedition to the new transmission, etc.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry, I have no idea on linkage setups between the two cases, but I would think they would be similarly located. But if your swapping the engines, the tranny swap should just coincide with that. The crossmember mounts will likely needed to be tweaked or re-drilled to mate up.
Have you checked F150online or Fordtruckworld to see if someone has done some of the initial legwork? The members there would probably have a little more experience since the F150 crowd usually are more prone to such swaps.